Emulation in Linux
Most of the talk so far has been on running emulators using Android or RemixOS, but has anyone else attempted it under Linux?

I am using the longsleep Arch Linux image, and have managed to set up retroarch and xboxdrv. I installed the SNES9x-next core, but I am only getting around 9 FPS using the gl driver, and around 13 FPS with the sdl one. I haven't yet attempted to recompile retroarch to add OpenGL ES support, which I assume is necessary for the Mali GPU driver.

It would be great to hear about other people's attempts and see if we can work together to get a RetroPie equivalent working on the Pine.
I know that Lakka and Recalbox are atemping linux based gaming OS's
I haven't seen any new information about them in a while now. Hopefully they are still making progress, as it would be better to have specifically built images for this use, especially if they support ARM64.

For now, I'm still playing around with my Arch setup, but I've not made much progress in getting the GPU acceleration to work.
(04-26-2016, 01:08 PM)remainder Wrote: I haven't seen any new information about them in a while now. Hopefully they are still making progress, as it would be better to have specifically built images for this use, especially if they support ARM64.

For now, I'm still playing around with my Arch setup, but I've not made much progress in getting the GPU acceleration to work.

I will ping Lakka folks on this week.
(04-15-2016, 04:12 PM)remainder Wrote: Most of the talk so far has been on running emulators using Android or RemixOS, but has anyone else attempted it under Linux?
Side note:
[Higan was the only SNES emulator in the software center. It didn't work. End of story. (And it says super famicon, so I dunno if super nintendo roms will even work with it.) Higan actually ran. I had to tell it which video driver to use. It was on opengl. I thought that shoulda worked but I put it on... SDL? It wouldn't load the game. The program just hanged after I hit the open button. I didn't give it very much time to load though. Probably could get it working with more experimentation. No time to do that.
MAME: Theres a version of the mame emulator in the soft.cent. Installed, didn't try it. Ninja Baseball Batmen would be fun though.]

Yea, I tried... And failed: (Note: I'm probably a linux noob, but have some exp. VPS, etc.)
"Ubuntu Linux Image base on Longsleep 20160421 image, Pine64" (Pine 64+ 2GB)
Attempted zsnes as well as snes9x. Focused on zsnes but didn't get either of them running. Zsnes refused to compile, or install. "Can't find build type, please specify one" and all dependencies were installed. No idea how to specify a build type... If thats even possible. Maybe the config files need to be updated by the zsnes dev's.
snes9x gave me an error when I went to run the executable. Sounded like it wouldn't run because apparently 64 bit ARM is not the same thing as 64 bit AMD. Wouldn't run due to different architectures. That was a real "wtf?" moment for me. I bought Pine because I thought it would easily run any 64 bit apps due to similar architecture. Without waiting for dev's to update their work, and why would they?

I wasted my dam time. Took me hours before I figured out I needed to change the repo to 'multiverse' (When you use apt-get it only searches for trusted apps) Only to find out all that junk was taken off the repo anyway? (I think?) Cause zsnes and snes9x still weren't showing up. (Only shows compatible versions probably)I even found a mirror download right from the packages.ubuntu.tld website. That one gave me the architecture error for snes9x. I tried older versions etc. No go.

My next try will be NES. And if that fails, maybe I'll try DOS. I'm frustrated! The Pine is cool but I think there's a newer ubuntu image or something that I should have downloaded. Even then, the emulators probably wouldn't have worked.
Remix OS: I don't wanna run android. I want a super simple emulation machine, without all the restrictions of what android can and can't do. Although, IF all of the android apps run fine. It would be quicker to get emulators working if you can simply download apps from the play store.
Debian: Maybe I should try debian?
Here is the github of the people working on RECALBOX for the pine64

https://github.com/recalbox/recalbox-os/...-181897032

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
If I installed a bunch of dependencies would that make zsnes work?
For instance if the problem is the i386 architecture vs arm64, could I just install the i386 package?
No, not unless you were recompiling the packages for arm64. x86 and ARM binaries are incompatible.
(04-26-2016, 06:13 PM)tllim Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 01:08 PM)remainder Wrote: I haven't seen any new information about them in a while now. Hopefully they are still making progress, as it would be better to have specifically built images for this use, especially if they support ARM64.

I will ping Lakka folks on this week.

@tllim: Any progress being made on Pine support by Lakka?
I will be making an effort to bring a retropie-like experience to the Pine64 once images with mali binaries drop. This should be sometime this month if Allwinner delivers. Cannot say how difficult this will be as at this stage. If I get somewhere with this then I will, of course, make an announcement about it.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What OS and emulators are you using for your emulation station? tanarri 2 7,123 04-11-2020, 03:10 AM
Last Post: lawrencejd
  GBA Emulation Working on 512MB Board, Ubuntu MonarchOfLight 0 3,137 02-16-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: MonarchOfLight
Big Grin My pine is ready to ship! What's the status on emulation? pqueiro 0 3,045 05-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pqueiro