How to handle a Pine64 correctly
I think many of the Backers are not used to handle unprotected highly integrated electronic PCB's without encapsulation. 

There are several issues to consider, but first of all:

Electrostatic protection:

The board and component added to the PCB (Printed circuit Board) can be very sensitive to electrostatic discharges. 
Sources of electrostatic discharges can be YOU or the materials you use together with the Pine 64. 

If the Pine 64 is exposed to electrostatic discharges can the result be a defect Pine 64 - ether immediately or latent - waiting for a moment when it is absolutely not wanted or expected to fail. 

Protect it against electrostatic discharges. The board comes wrapped into a anti electrostatic bag and whenever you handle the board makes sure that you and where you place it have the same electrostatic potential as the Pine 64.

If possible, handle it at a protective work space away from chargeable materials like carpets, nylon, plastic bags etc. 
When you want to remove it from the bag, place it on a protective surface (e.g. on top of the anti static bag).
If you do not have an electrostatic save work desk (I do not suppose you have!) use a table made of non conductive materials ( e.g. wood or glass. Cardboard is also usable) but keep it away from electrostatic chargeable materials like nylon. Also think about what you wear. Prefer cotton, avoid synthetic materials.

Discharge your hand by touching the work area and the Pines anti static back. When removing it from the bas, grab it by one of the metallic connectors and the edges of the PCB. Avoid to touch the electronic circuits. (Both with and without power connected to the board.)

Make sure your pine and your other connected equipment have the same electrical potential. Use the ground / shield connections for this. If possible mount it into a conductive box (isolated from it naturally ) connect the GND or shield to the box. Thereby will you protect against electrostatic discharges but also limit the HF radiation from the Pine a bit.
(04-13-2016, 12:42 PM)gbjensen Wrote: When you want to remove it from the bag, place it on a protective surface (e.g. on top of the anti static bag).

Overall good advice, but this quoted bit is incorrect. The anti-static (dissipative-type) bag has a conductive coating on it to "wick" away any shocks/static electricity from reaching the Pine64 inside. Placing the Pine64 on top of the bag would cause it to make contact with a conductive surface, and possibly short-circuit if powered on.
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
(04-18-2016, 10:49 AM)pine.tree Wrote:
(04-13-2016, 12:42 PM)gbjensen Wrote: When you want to remove it from the bag, place it on a protective surface (e.g. on top of the anti static bag).

Overall good advice, but this quoted bit is incorrect. The anti-static (dissipative-type) bag has a conductive coating on it to "wick" away any shocks/static electricity from reaching the Pine64 inside. Placing the Pine64 on top of the bag would cause it to make contact with a conductive surface, and possibly short-circuit if powered on.

I have (after 30 years in the electronic business) never seen anti-static bag with an electrical conductive surface. You can try to see if you can measure a resistance with an Ohm-meter with the probes touching the surface very close to each other. So unless the Pine is packed in a Conductive bag and not an anti static bag should it be save to place the PCB on top of the bag and power it up.

Any way the best practice would be to build it into the wanted encapsulating first - but who can wait to do this?
Video highlighting ESD bags- https://youtu.be/jQRIzgEVsjI?t=33s
General Static Shielding bags- http://www.uline.com/BL_56/No-Print-Stat...s-Open-End

According to the picture (found here: http://www.uline.com/images/copy/CI_51.gif), the darkish reflective layer is the conductive (but resistive) coating that is on the Pine64 bags. The point of the coating is to take outside static and absorb it until it "dissipates". I don't have a multimeter myself, but i would assume that some charge would still get through.
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
Wink 
A fairly safe handling route would be to work on the pine (or any pcb - vid card, sound card etc.) next to your regular pc. Just touch a bare metal surface of your pc's case - like the back. This should ground you and remove any electrical static.
Case grounding is a basic hardware standard.
Backer number: 24,762

Backerkit STATUS: Items Received
(04-18-2016, 10:49 AM)pine.tree Wrote:

This is rediculous ^^ ^^

... the coating is highly resistive and is designed to bleed off excesive electrostatic charge slowly.  The bag will NOT short the board;  any more than a static mat on the technicians work-station will short the board.  Not a problem.

Failing to follow the advice on the previous post in proper handling of static sensitive boards IS a big problem;  words to the wise.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I don't know what kind of bag your boards come in but I was told the same thing: don't lay boards on a shielded bag. A capacitor could still have a charge and the outside material sure looks like foil to me. I guess the pink translucent ones are OK (no shielding, just anti-static) but seems like as a general rule it'd be better to err on the side of caution.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wi-Fi/Bluetooth for PINE64, Model: Sopine A64 lamson 0 1,694 08-24-2021, 08:17 AM
Last Post: lamson
  AC Adapter Which One? Pine64 A64 DB V1.1 2GB REV B (Year 2016) databaseprogrammer 2 3,326 06-17-2021, 05:35 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Just discovered Pine64 ! - first Q philip_rhoades 4 5,605 04-29-2020, 10:13 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  A newest user in Pine64 Aliko 1 3,894 04-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PINE64 Installer - Simple Way to Image Your MicroSD pineadmin 101 148,454 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Emails from pine64 received as spam by gmail Matan 2 5,629 08-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Leiaz
Information Creating a NAS server in Pine64 javi_cala 4 8,195 01-21-2019, 02:03 AM
Last Post: bartes
  The 6 most common reasons why Pine64 won't boot Andrew2 109 206,043 10-11-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Technolab88
  Pine64 installer way slow flashing Paraplegic Racehorse 2 4,408 01-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: dkryder
  Pine64 Ubuntu Mate No Sound adamjedgar 3 6,905 11-06-2017, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Luke