Tool chain to write Pine 64 linux apps on a Windows Dev machine
I'm a professional software developer (but not a Linux developer) so this question is not "How do I code an app?"  The question is "What's the easiest way to write Pine64 code to handle GPIO events."

Details:  I want to build a background process for my Pine64 (running Debian) to handle GPIOs so that I can power on/off a few things either via Node-Red (already installed on the pine), or by manually pushing a button on my Pine64 case.  The program logic is done, but I'm struggling to find a tool chain that I can use to create the program.  Either I can't compile the code, or once I get an executable running, it doesn't seem to run.  

In a perfect world, I'd love to get C# on the Pine64 working, but I'd be happy with any standard language (C, C++, etc.) that I can write and compile on my main dev machine, which runs Windows 10.  (It can run Linux in a VM if required for compiling.  Heck, I could write it and compile it on the Pine64 via VNC, if that is what is needed.)

What I need is a "Hello World" or "Blink an LED" guide to get a background app/service going on the Pine64 from my Dev machine that covers:
  • What needs to be installed on my dev machine (software, dependencies, etc.)  and how do I execute builds (command line commands, etc.)? 
  • What language I should use (Needs to read/write to GPIOS, run as a background service, and make Node Red calls.  Minor file IO would also be nice)
  • What do I need to install/configure on the Pine 64 to get the executable to run?
  • What debugging patterns/tools can I use?  (Is there an IDE supporting debugger breakpoints?  Can I pause running code to inspect its state?  Am I limited to logging style debugging similar to on Arduino?  Are there Pine64 emulators that I can test the code with virtual GPIO inputs?) 
  • How do I deploy the compiled executable to run as a background service?  How do I update the executable with a newer executable each time I make a new version?
If I can simply get the above figured out, I can handle the rest of the app.  Its humbling how much of a dunce I feel like that I can't seem to get these basics figured out on my own.

In short, the ideal solution would be a way to code in C# on windows in an IDE and nice debugging on a local emulator.  Minimum solution would enable me to write something I can compile somehow into a Linux executable and at least lets me see some kind of logging-style debugging output.
You have three options for programming the gpio(s) on the PineA64+:

1)  sysfs filesystem and bash scripting  /sys/class/gpio/...

2)  RPi-GPIO.PineA64

3)  PineA64-CPP

Forget what you know about x86 Intel hardware;  these are Arm SoC(s);  you need to understand the mux io lines gpio(s).  Also, forget what you know about C#;  this is a perfect world, and windows is not a part of it.

No. (1) above is the ability to export a gpio mux to user space and then read or write its state (value) with a bash script or other wrapper like python.  No. (2) above is the Raspberry PI (like) python interface to the gpio mux lines.  No. (3) above is a fairly recent C++ library for access to the gpio mux lines via C|C++.  

There are many examples (some from myself) in the forum here under Pine64+ ---> Hardware Accessories , POT ---> PI-2 Euler GPIO ports

We have included examples in sysfs, RPi, and C++;  we have shown how to blink the LED lab, run a brushless fan with software pwm, and other examples. 

Also, the PineA64+ is not an MCU.  It is a full blown gnu+linux computer;  you can do the development right on the board;  no need for C#, nor windows anything;  in fact what you know about the Win-Tel platform will just get in your way here.  Start with the three above, look through the forum, and visit us on the irc;  I won't do your work for you, but I can answer specific questions we you get stuck;
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(07-17-2017, 09:33 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: You have three options for programming the gpio(s) on the PineA64+:

1)  sysfs filesystem and bash scripting  /sys/class/gpio/...

2)  RPi-GPIO.PineA64

3)  PineA64-CPP

Forget what you know about x86 Intel hardware;  these are Arm SoC(s);  you need to understand the mux io lines gpio(s).  Also, forget what you know about C#;  this is a perfect world, and windows is not a part of it.

No. (1) above is the ability to export a gpio mux to user space and then read or write its state (value) with a bash script or other wrapper like python.  No. (2) above is the Raspberry PI (like) python interface to the gpio mux lines.  No. (3) above is a fairly recent C++ library for access to the gpio mux lines via C|C++.  

There are many examples (some from myself) in the forum here under Pine64+ ---> Hardware Accessories , POT ---> PI-2 Euler GPIO ports

We have included examples in sysfs, RPi, and C++;  we have shown how to blink the LED lab, run a brushless fan with software pwm, and other examples. 

Also, the PineA64+ is not an MCU.  It is a full blown gnu+linux computer;  you can do the development right on the board;  no need for C#, nor windows anything;  in fact what you know about the Win-Tel platform will just get in your way here.  Start with the three above, look through the forum, and visit us on the irc;  I won't do your work for you, but I can answer specific questions we you get stuck;

Hi Marcus,

Lets write as an article, post on maker blog and also on PINE64 wiki. Thanks

.. TL

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PINE A64 SBC: Clone of a functional 32GB SD card doesn't boot burningkrome 3 1,506 05-19-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  PINE A64 Ubuntu 18 or 20 IMG with touchscreen? burningkrome 0 552 04-29-2023, 05:13 AM
Last Post: burningkrome
  Pine A64 does only boot with Android 5.1 Dude 6 3,775 07-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Dude
  Pine A64+ vs LCD do not boot DDS 3 5,864 02-23-2021, 05:33 PM
Last Post: thedu
  Autodetect if Pine unit is a Pine A64+ or PineA64-LTS pkfpeters 1 3,255 02-09-2021, 12:17 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine 64 | 2GB x2 & Acrylic Cases x2 for Sale | Canada - GTA ViperVi 1 4,422 01-18-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: squidius
  sd format?for pine 64 angegardien 3 7,621 12-06-2020, 03:53 PM
Last Post: junkyj753
  Node Red on the Pine DonFL 0 2,733 12-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Last Post: DonFL
Photo Pine A64+ from Kick starter running Pi-Hole netHolio 0 3,204 12-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Last Post: netHolio
  NetBSD for Pine A64(+) Luke 3 6,620 10-05-2019, 11:04 PM
Last Post: mrgtwentythree