Bad replacement battery?
I ordered this replacement battery for my Pinebook Pro and it won't charge. The laptop will power on with the new battery, the OS correctly identifies when it's plugged in, but the charge light blinks red and the charger (USB-C or barrel) doesn't draw any discernible power from the wall. Charging works as expected with the old battery plugged back in.

I notice that the old battery has a white wire in the center of the connector, while the new one does not. The second suspect thing is that the new battery is 33g lighter than the old.

Any thoughts on this? Does this missing white wire indicate a problem was inevitable, or could I have just gotten a bad battery? I have sent a message to the seller but haven't heard back yet.

Thank you!
(02-16-2024, 08:39 PM)chris88233 Wrote: I ordered this replacement battery for my Pinebook Pro and it won't charge. The laptop will power on with the new battery, the OS correctly identifies when it's plugged in, but the charge light blinks red and the charger (USB-C or barrel) doesn't draw any discernible power from the wall. Charging works as expected with the old battery plugged back in.

I notice that the old battery has a white wire in the center of the connector, while the new one does not. The second suspect thing is that the new battery is 33g lighter than the old.

Any thoughts on this? Does this missing white wire indicate a problem was inevitable, or could I have just gotten a bad battery? I have sent a message to the seller but haven't heard back yet.

Thank you!

Where you bought the replacement batter? The middle wire connect to a thermistor placed near (inside) battery pack. You need to connect to 10K Ohm resistor if lacking the thermistor,
(02-17-2024, 06:57 PM)tllim Wrote:
(02-16-2024, 08:39 PM)chris88233 Wrote: I ordered this replacement battery for my Pinebook Pro and it won't charge. The laptop will power on with the new battery, the OS correctly identifies when it's plugged in, but the charge light blinks red and the charger (USB-C or barrel) doesn't draw any discernible power from the wall. Charging works as expected with the old battery plugged back in.

Thank you!

Where you bought the replacement batter? The middle wire connect to a thermistor placed near (inside) battery pack. You need to connect to 10K Ohm resistor if lacking the thermistor,

I bought it from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32999824216.html

I'll give the resistor a try. I still haven't heard from the seller and at this point I think experimenting is all I have left.

Thank you!
(02-18-2024, 09:43 AM)chris88233 Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 06:57 PM)tllim Wrote:

Thank you!

I bought it from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32999824216.html

I'll give the resistor a try. I still haven't heard from the seller and at this point I think experimenting is all I have left.

Thank you!

Pine Store recommend user get from this site: https://www.cdrtd.com/products/laptop-re...s-new.html that listed on PineBook Pro spare parts page: https://pine64.com/product/pinebook-and-...4-version/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lithium Battery Connector Franestra 0 126 04-02-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Franestra
  Bypassing the Battery gilwood 0 243 02-01-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  PBPro Battery specification Perl6_user 3 577 12-26-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: DrYak
  Replacement main board for Developers mozes 10 1,765 11-27-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: mozes
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 1,082 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Battery replacement mjc 2 2,893 09-26-2023, 01:08 AM
Last Post: david-lechner
  Battery drain when off srs5694 1 1,024 03-24-2023, 06:05 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Replacement scissor switches (ANSI keyboard)? zackw 3 3,846 08-09-2021, 09:20 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pinebook Pro/Pinetab replacement as400 11 11,193 07-30-2021, 04:40 AM
Last Post: as400
Question Battery stops charging and NVMe and other media disconnect randomly Eey0zu6O 4 4,797 07-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: moonwalkers