Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly
I got my PP keyboard when they first launched and within about 2 months it stopped charging my phone. I've shimmed it, changed kernels, changed OS's and did all the troubleshooting steps found on Megis website and the only conclusion I can come up with is that the charging chip is fried. 

I can check the keyboard battery with UPower and it shows 100% but no matter how good/bad of a charger I connect to it, the power never gets to my phone. The good news is, I can type on it though. 

So my question is, since there is no working connection to the charging chip, would it be safe to charge the phone directly while it is connected to the keyboard?
(01-09-2024, 09:05 AM)-ragreenburg Wrote: I got my PP keyboard when they first launched and within about 2 months it stopped charging my phone. I've shimmed it, changed kernels, changed OS's and did all the troubleshooting steps found on Megis website and the only conclusion I can come up with is that the charging chip is fried. 

I can check the keyboard battery with UPower and it shows 100% but no matter how good/bad of a charger I connect to it, the power never gets to my phone. The good news is, I can type on it though. 

So my question is, since there is no working connection to the charging chip, would it be safe to charge the phone directly while it is connected to the keyboard?

I can't guarantee that it's safe, but that's what I've been doing since my keyboard's charging chip died as well. Obviously no-one should do this if their keyboard still charges their phone as it will kill the chip.
(01-09-2024, 01:25 PM)acid andy Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 09:05 AM)-ragreenburg Wrote: I got my PP keyboard when they first launched and within about 2 months it stopped charging my phone. I've shimmed it, changed kernels, changed OS's and did all the troubleshooting steps found on Megis website and the only conclusion I can come up with is that the charging chip is fried. 

I can't guarantee that it's safe, but that's what I've been doing since my keyboard's charging chip died as well. Obviously no-one should do this if their keyboard still charges their phone as it will kill the chip.

How long has that been? If you don't mind me asking. 

I just want an idea of a timeframe to see that in X months you've been doing it, there haven't been any issues. 

Also, do you use Phosh? If so, how do you get the battery power to show the phones battery and not the average of both?
(01-09-2024, 01:39 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: How long has that been? If you don't mind me asking. 

About 16 months.

(01-09-2024, 01:39 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: Also, do you use Phosh? If so, how do you get the battery power to show the phones battery and not the average of both?

I don't personally use Phosh regularly. If you take the phone out of the keyboard case, does it show the correct battery level then? If not, it may be to do with this bug: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=17740

If that turns out to be the problem, it might be worth reporting the bug to the Phosh devs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,799 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 428 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 8,178 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 454 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,240 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 520 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 618 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM
  Use the Linux Console with the PinePhone Keyboard mburns 2 1,025 10-20-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: mburns
  How to disassemble Keyboard top and replace cables? elof 2 833 10-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: elof
  Getting all keys working on pine phone keyboard-case undata 5 2,485 10-08-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: mburns