Pinephone Pro Screen Protector
My Pinephone Pro arrived with a small air bubble underneath the pre-installed screen protector, which is mildly irritating.

1) Is this common?

It came with a spare screen protector, but I'm not confident in my ability to install it without trapping air or dust underneath. I thought that unlike the original Pinephone, the Pinephone Pro doesn't need a screen protector anyway due to the Gorilla Glass display.

2) Can anyone who has removed the factory installed screen protector from the Pinephone Pro comment on the display's durability against scratches?
Mine came with bubbles too not a long time ago ( beginning of November ). To be precise 2 bigger ( 3-4mm diameter) near edges and one small ( 1mm diameter) about 1 cm from edge. So I would like to know the answers to the questions above too.
Mine has only one bubble about 1.5mm diameter, right in the middle of the top half of the display.
are you sure it's screen protector? can you provide pics?

when i bought pp pro, it had film protector pre-installed. it also came with separate screen protector, which is semi-hard. i installed it.
poor picture, but this is what i got.

[Image: pinehone-pro-screen-protector-2023-05.jpg]
Yeah, I removed that plastic film with the sticker that says "Please peel off this mask after application completed", but it's just a protector protector - there's already an actual protector underneath (and the bubble's underneath that). I can see the edges of the protector and feel them with my fingernail. Dust visibly collects alongside the raised edges, especially in the cutout up by the camera, which might be another reason to remove the protector. The replacement protector is the exact same shape.

It sounds like you might have installed a protector on top of a protector on your phone?
@zetabeta Mine came as yours in the photo. Phone with soft protector with a stripe to peel off + hard screen protector with the red stripe.

I peeled off the soft protector and just like @jydoxcen wrote, there was another protector installed (with bubbles).

i've made 2 photos. One shows phone and the protector (in casing).

I haven't installed it, cause as you can see on the other picture, there already appears to be an protector on the phone installed. I've marked the 3 bubbles.

it might be possible to use something like a credit card to "squeegee" the air bubbles to the sides and then use vegetable oil along the sides of the protector to help finish drawing the air out from underneath
(12-18-2023, 09:23 AM)jydoxcen Wrote: Yeah, I removed that plastic film with the sticker that says "Please peel off this mask after application completed", but it's just a protector protector - there's already an actual protector underneath (and the bubble's underneath that). I can see the edges of the protector and feel them with my fingernail. Dust visibly collects alongside the raised edges, especially in the cutout up by the camera, which might be another reason to remove the protector. The replacement protector is the exact same shape.

It sounds like you might have installed a protector on top of a protector on your phone?

some knowledgeable guy should answer this.

my guess is that, undereath  protector is part of screen and whole screen needs to be replaced, if there is a problem.

so, i have two protectors! when it becomes ... scratchy, maybe it's time to remove this ... other one.

(12-18-2023, 11:58 AM)jezek Wrote: @zetabeta Mine came as yours in the photo. Phone with soft protector with a stripe to peel off + hard screen protector with the red stripe.

I peeled off the soft protector and just like @jydoxcen wrote, there was another protector installed (with bubbles).

i've made 2 photos. One shows phone and the protector (in casing).

I haven't installed it, cause as you can see on the other picture, there already appears to be an protector on the phone installed. I've marked the 3 bubbles.

latter picture is little bit low quality, but it looks you already have protector? did you buy refurbished?

i bought non-refurbished.
(12-18-2023, 03:33 PM)zetabeta Wrote: latter picture is little bit low quality, but it looks you already have protector? did you buy refurbished?

i bought non-refurbished.

No I didn't buy a refurbished PPP. I bought straight from https://pine64eu.com/product/pinephone-p...er-edition
I think it's the same what @jydoxcen is trying to say, he bought a new PPP and it came with a protector already installed (with bubble(s)) and with a separate protector.

(12-18-2023, 01:55 PM)tophneal Wrote: it might be possible to use something like a credit card to "squeegee" the air bubbles to the sides and then use vegetable oil along the sides of the protector to help finish drawing the air out from underneath

Thanx for the instructions. Just curious before I try, why vegetable oil and how exactly should I use it to help me drawing the air out?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Pinephone Pro for a Debian user? primesocial 2 203 04-15-2024, 03:01 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  PinePhone Pro silver lining, it’s fast, real damn fast ashoka232 0 514 03-20-2024, 01:45 AM
Last Post: ashoka232
  PinePhone Pro Black Screen CrimsenRaven 2 397 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  PinePhone Pro Review tmoj 2 701 03-14-2024, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 747 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 4,287 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Average Joe review of Pinephone Pro (March 2023) alaraajavamma 6 10,354 01-06-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 857 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Pro does not start with RE button pressed c0ssan 10 5,415 09-28-2023, 09:21 AM
Last Post: R0bbi3Mack
  Is my pinephone pro worth resurrecting? tckosvic 5 3,040 09-14-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: DaForest