Thanks Pine64, kind of?
Short story; For the last several years I was a computer repairman. I used to like my job, but it got infinitely worse when my location decided to start making me repair iPhones and a few Samsung devices. When I got the pinephone, I loved it! It was so easy to work with/repair, but software was rough. I decided I wanted to try learning programming to help improve the phone in my spare time, and maybe make apps to counter the things that are just missing from it.

Now, two years later, I still haven't managed to write a successful Hello World that compiles on the Pinephone. The barrier of entry to developing on the pinephone is so nebulous and confusing. Deciding instead to start with basic tutorials I eventually was able to make a few things in Python and html, and c#. basic scripts, a small app, a website or two. It paid off.

For the last few months I have been enjoying my first job as a full-fledged software developer. I've learned so much, and it's all the pinephone's fault for being buggy and crashing. I still have things I want to make for it, but now I get to relearn in a professional environment. No time estimates, but I will make software that users of the pinephone can benefit from.
(08-19-2022, 07:50 AM)gamerminstrel Wrote: Short story; For the last several years I was a computer repairman. I used to like my job, but it got infinitely worse when my location decided to start making me repair iPhones and a few Samsung devices. When I got the pinephone, I loved it! It was so easy to work with/repair, but software was rough. I decided I wanted to try learning programming to help improve the phone in my spare time, and maybe make apps to counter the things that are just missing from it.

Now, two years later, I still haven't managed to write a successful Hello World that compiles on the Pinephone. The barrier of entry to developing on the pinephone is so nebulous and confusing. Deciding instead to start with basic tutorials I eventually was able to make a few things in Python and html, and c#. basic scripts, a small app, a website or two. It paid off.

For the last few months I have been enjoying my first job as a full-fledged software developer. I've learned so much, and it's all the pinephone's fault for being buggy and crashing. I still have things I want to make for it, but now I get to relearn in a professional environment. No time estimates, but I will make software that users of the pinephone can benefit from.

haha that was a fun read.
Well if you are into software (o.s.) development may I suggest a dedicated phone o.s. for the PinePhone. A separate o.s. for the phone and chat alone. When a PP is purchased and one opens the box, pulls the battery tab out, inserts simcard and then boots phone the system boots up in calls. No other Linux o.s. has been installed as of yet. Separating the phone/chat from a desired o.s. may in fact solve a lot of bugs. For example tow-boot is resident. Tow-boot is fantastic. I think that calls/chat could occupy the top banner of the phone and always be there and then underneath that banner the desired o.s.
Something to think about for sure.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PINE64 meetup in Germany in 2022? Luke 19 14,292 02-08-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: ThomasViz
  PINE64 Community Rules and Code of Conduct Luke 0 11,453 02-22-2021, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Luke
  PINE64 riddles explained Luke 0 6,174 12-21-2020, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Instructions to join IRC server: pine64.xyz Luke 12 26,454 05-23-2018, 09:57 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
Lightbulb PINE64: StackExchange Community By-Jokese 27 46,373 02-12-2017, 02:27 AM
Last Post: makzoom01