Troubleshooting and Understanding MMS
(07-25-2022, 03:05 PM)treebeard Wrote:
(07-24-2022, 07:30 PM)pikurasa Wrote: The funny thing, now that I look at it is that there is nothing after:
Code:
http://63.55.99.247/servlets/mms?message-id=

I saw that in your log snippets and assumed you redacted the id. This seems like a pretty important clue and I'm afraid I don't know what to do with it, other than tell you to report it to mmsdtng folks at https://gitlab.com/kop316/mmsd/-/issues

After doing some more debugging, I seem to have figured out a pattern (but not yet sure what it means for fixing the issue):
1. When I am set to vzwapp on `.mms/modemmanager/mms` & vzwapp in system settings, when I run mmsdtng, the full message id (in the URL) never shows when I run `mmsdtng -d`, and I get a 404 error.
2. When I am set to vzwinternet on `.mms/modemmanager/mms` & vzwinternet in system settings, the message id (in the URL) does show when I run `mmsdtng -d`, but I get an "HTTP/1.1 7 connection terminated unexpectedly" and "status 007" (what is that, btw?)

Now that I found the URLs, I am finally able to download these messages (via wget), providing some small relief to three weeks of anxiety. (wget, btw seems to automatically try port 80, which I know is usually necessary for downloading from these sorts of URLs). For this to work, I need my system's APN settings to be set to vzwapp (others result in a timeout). This is what I expected, but for fun I tried with it set to vzwinternet to no avail.

Basically, it seems I need the message ID that I get for setting to vzwinternet, but the successful download I get for setting to vzwapp.

Other random stuff:

I don't have any VPNs or proxies set. MMSDNTG is at version 1.9; Chatty is version 0.6.7. I am set to 2G, 3G, 4G ("preferred"), but settings throws an error if I try anything other than 4G.

I am puzzled how this behavior varies from what others have experienced.

I think I know better how mmsdtng handles requests, but I don't really understand how chatty manages things. It would be helpful for my debugging to know this information. For one, where is the user data for chatty stored?

Also, where is the list of APNs stored in system settings? Every time I restart my phone, it adds four more redundant choices (vzwapp, vzwims, vzwinternet, verizon) to the list of options again and again and again.

At any rate, I hope this helps fix a bug, or helps someone else in the future. Once I am certain about the reproducible steps, I will report. Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Troubleshooting and Understanding MMS - by epiii2 - 05-31-2022, 07:44 PM
RE: Troubleshooting and Understanding MMS - by pikurasa - 07-31-2022, 07:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin troubleshooting Chatty / modem? no SMS outbound vap0rtranz 5 3,742 02-14-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: vap0rtranz