Troubleshooting and Understanding MMS
Using vzwapp versus vzwinternet result in their DHCP servers using different subnets, so the phone gets different ipv4 and ipv6 addresses, gateways and routes.  Both use the same DNS servers, though.  When attempting to access the broad internet via vzwapp, DNS resolution succeeds but the connection never opens. 

I'm thinking that this is working exactly as Verizon intended.  I've seen comments regarding another carrier with dual APNs that it was done to separate the free stuff from the metered stuff and that seems plausible.

One effect of using vzwapp as the default APN is that chrony is unable to sync the time.  I've lately been working on getting location services to work and suspect my use of vzwapp may have been hindering it.  It seems like it would be fairly simple to write a script to check periodically for "stuck" MMS messages and display a message when found so that I could use vzwinternet as the default and just switch to vzwapp when I need to read and reply to MMS.

mmsd-tng was waiting for dual APN support in modemmanager 1.18 (it's in mobian bookworm) but apparently there are also changes needed in network manager now.

Messages In This Thread
Troubleshooting and Understanding MMS - by epiii2 - 05-31-2022, 07:44 PM
RE: Troubleshooting and Understanding MMS - by treebeard - 06-05-2022, 12:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin troubleshooting Chatty / modem? no SMS outbound vap0rtranz 5 3,746 02-14-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: vap0rtranz