Installing Arch Linux ARM on the Quartz64
Hello everyone,

I wrote a guide on how to install Arch Linux ARM. Currently it's intended for experienced audiences. It still requires using qemu-user-static to install a custom kernel package, unless you have an already running aarch64 Arch Linux or Manjaro system handy, in which case you can forego the qemu-user-static dependency and just install the package with no additional steps in the arch-chroot.

You can find the guide on the Wiki, where I'll keep it updated: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Installing_...e_Quartz64

Once kernel 5.16 releases, and Arch Linux ARM packages it, I'll update the guide to remove the currently scary part,  and I'll declare it safe for anyone with a bit of Linux command line knowledge to follow.

Occasional Linux Kernel Contributor, Avid Wiki Updater, Ask Me About Quartz64
Open Hardware Quartz64 Model A TOSLink Adapter
Pi-bus GPIO Extender For ROCKPro64 And Quartz64 Model A
Plebian GNU/Linux
With the latest packaged Arch Linux ARM the qemu/chroot "hack" is no longer necessary :)
(02-10-2022, 12:22 PM)mulimoen Wrote: With the latest packaged Arch Linux ARM the qemu/chroot "hack" is no longer necessary Smile

It actually still is for now as their kernel lacks a few config options, but I am in the process of fixing this.

Plebian GNU/Linux
I've updated the link to my kernel package on the wiki to one with a 5.18-rc kernel package with PCIe patches applied on top. My ALARM PR still hasn't been merged, but I'm used to not having those merged at this point.

I've also received my Quartz64 Model B, but we have discovered that it's a newer board revision than the one Peter wrote his device tree against. The result is that Ethernet isn't working. We'll look into it once we have the schematics. Once that's fixed, I'll be sure to update the instructions for Model B.

I've also been thinking about providing finished images. This would basically involve me installing a full system onto a file and then releasing that file, with the kernel package preinstalled. I'd probably also run a repository to provide a linux-aarch64-quartz64 kernel and add that, in order to make sure I can keep users of it updated. Users could then simply write that image to their storage device of choice. Would people be interested in this, as way to not have to use usermode emulation? I'd also give instructions on how to resize the rootfs after flashing to make it use up the entire extent of your storage medium.

Plebian GNU/Linux
With the package update to the 5.18 kernel, the necessary config options were turned on, so booting ALARM on the Quartz64 Model A should work out of the box now. I've removed the links to my own kernel packages from the wiki, as they're no longer needed. Though you'll have to patch in PCIe yourself (or wait for 5.19) if you want that.

Plebian GNU/Linux

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixing the Quartz64 USB3 Port with the soldering iron Hemi03 0 764 06-03-2023, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Hemi03
  Installing Manjaro on EMMC homerunisgood 0 1,510 10-02-2021, 03:24 AM
Last Post: homerunisgood