Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?
(02-02-2023, 09:51 PM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: The recent crash reports I see on this forum alone:
Hm. You linked one thread (two times) with issues of Manjaro with Plasma Mobile, I didn't monitor the Manjaro sub forum because I never used Manjaro and I expected if a update (Mobian specific or not) suddenly causes my Mobian PinePhone to crash all the time, I would see at least one other guy in the Mobian sub forum (or the general Software sub forum) reporting the same problem right now...
And you linked one thread which was created yesterday, after I asked "Where did you see those reports?", which also doesn't talk about crashes (of a before working system) while in use but is from a new user with a PinePhone which never worked according to him.
"The recent crash reports I see on this forum alone" implicates that I've missed something, but it seems I did not (really). Wink

I also never said I've never read anything about some crashes on this forum, I've just would expect an increase in such posts/error reports if really an recent update suddenly causes crashes/freezes every 5-10 minutes on before (mostly) working PinePhones. Otherwise I seems likely that it's my hardware I thought...
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
I fixed the issue with not transferring files, which I didn't see covered in any of the guides, the problems seemed to be that only the one USBC slot works for data transfers while the other is only for power (with keyboard attachment), and the cable that came with the pinephone is also not able to transfer data but only charges (at least from what I remember in testing)

my issue with file transfers was hardware related in other words (which I don't think is mentioned as a reminder on the PMOS guide if someone wants to add it, and I don't remember if it's mentioned on the Pine64 wiki)

other wifi solutions didn't really work but they might work, I'd have to go back and try them again
(01-29-2023, 04:07 PM)dante404 Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 12:31 PM)zetabeta Wrote: btw this is my first pinephone, where touchscreen got broken. someone reported something similar on matrix channel. however, i think it was heating in that time when using mobian.
https://barrelmem.s3.eu-north-1.amazonaw...164904.jpg

Uh... that display damage looks really wierd! Sad

This is an extremely common issue, see the pinned thread on the PinePhone Hardware subforum.
When many people suspect hardware problems to come up at the same time, it's often software. ;-)

Currently, the PinePhone (and other AllWinner A64 devices), is being plagued by an issue surfaced by Mesa 22.3.1, that has been fixed in Mesa now according to the freedesktop.org issue tracker, it should land in 22.3.6 and some distributions will cherry pick it before or already have:

If you want to read how these bugs are being located (it's a lot of work):

- debian bug

- postmarketOS issue tracker, blog post

- freedesktop.org issue

Fortunately, this means that these crashes are going away soon. Now how do you tell if the behavior you are seeing is being caused by this issue? Check with your package manager, whether you are running a "known bad" release of Mesa - on Arch and Manjaro that's done with `pacman -Ss mesa` on postmarketOS it's `apk search mesa` (only Edge was ever affected), and on Debian/Mobian you can check with `apt search mesa`.

-- OFF TOPIC --

I saw some questions about the Librem 5 and it's daily-driveability. I plan to post on my blog about that topic soon after having re-evaluated it after a re-install and equipped with the new WiFi card.

The main issue I have is battery life; it's still not always possible to make it through (a long) work day on my unit, which admittedly may exhibit poorer battery life due to being used for App Testing for LinuxPhoneApps.org - I have way too many flatpaks installed. With suspend enabled battery life would be good enough, but with it enabled my Librem 5 is plagued by 'modem lost' issues, which some of you are familiar with. The new wifi card should help with battery life, too. Until then, if you can't find reviews, make sure to check my Weekly Updates, I am sure I had a few recent-ish blog posts linked in there in the past, or just read purism's forum.

That said, if you can live without hardware kill-switches and a working camera, I highly recommend trying mainline Linux (postmarketOS or Mobian) on Snapdragon 845 devices (OnePlus 6, Poco F1, Shift6mq) - great performance and battery life for a low price, it's almost as using chips designed for phones makes a difference ;-)
(02-19-2023, 01:34 AM)linmob Wrote: That said, if you can live without hardware kill-switches and a working camera, I highly recommend trying mainline Linux (postmarketOS or Mobian) on Snapdragon 845 devices (OnePlus 6, Poco F1, Shift6mq) - great performance and battery life for a low price, it's almost as using chips designed for phones makes a difference ;-)

oneplus or xiaomi poco f1! one thing i like about pinephone is boot system. what i know about fastboot, bootloader and oem unlock, i like to stay away from it.
(02-19-2023, 01:34 AM)linmob Wrote: Fortunately, this means that these crashes are going away soon. Now how do you tell if the behavior you are seeing is being caused by this issue? Check with your package manager, whether you are running a "known bad" release of Mesa - on Arch and Manjaro that's done with `pacman -Ss mesa` on postmarketOS it's `apk search mesa` (only Edge was ever affected), and on Debian/Mobian you can check with `apt search mesa`.
Uuuuh that would be great! Big Grin
Thanks for the info!
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
(02-19-2023, 01:34 AM)linmob Wrote: Fortunately, this means that these crashes are going away soon.
On Manjaro, the mesa crashes on the PinePhone are gone with the 2023-02-16 update. Hopefully Mobian and others will get the fix soon too.
finally: https://www.phoronix.com/news/Mesa-23.0-Released, but for mobian it will take a while: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mesa
"Migration status: Blocked. Can't migrate due to a non-migratable dependency."
Yeah, seems your right about Mobian... damn. Sad
dante404 Wrote:"Migration status: Blocked. Can't migrate due to a non-migratable dependency."
Yeah, seems your right about Mobian... damn. Sad
According to https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mesa, the upgrade for mesa is blocked because of llvm-toolchain-15. However, according to https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/llvm-toolchain-15, it looks like new versions of llvm-toolchain-15 are being accepted into unstable, so maybe mesa will be unblocked soon.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 7 584 Yesterday, 05:56 AM
Last Post: aular
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 354 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 240 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,803 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 612 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,373 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 501 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,708 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,974 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,999 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy