Multiple SD cards for multiple OS's?
So I've got a functional Android build already working, but I'd like to try a few different things as well.  I'd like to give Remix a shot, as well as some of the other images people have posted like TV64.  Rather than re-write my SD card each time, I was thinking of getting a few cards, and each one having different OS so I could swap between them .  I'm mainly wondering about size though.  I know that storage space is needed in addition to any OS images, but not sure how much.  Basically looking for advice on if I should buy 8GB cards, 32GB, or or go up to 64GB.  Obviously, there is a cost difference between these cards, which is why I'm asking for opinions on what size I really need.  Thanks for the input.
Kickstarter backer #5,864  --  SBC Noob  --  SE Michigan, USA
(05-27-2016, 02:35 PM)montero65 Wrote: So I've got a functional Android build already working, but I'd like to try a few different things as well.  I'd like to give Remix a shot, as well as some of the other images people have posted like TV64.  Rather than re-write my SD card each time, I was thinking of getting a few cards, and each one having different OS so I could swap between them .  I'm mainly wondering about size though.  I know that storage space is needed in addition to any OS images, but not sure how much.  Basically looking for advice on if I should buy 8GB cards, 32GB, or or go up to 64GB.  Obviously, there is a cost difference between these cards, which is why I'm asking for opinions on what size I really need.  Thanks for the input.

My advise just get another microSD card. Every OS has its way way for file partition and format, it is better not to lump together.
Depends on your use really. Hard to say - for servers I'd go 8gb myself (debian/ubuntu headless), and 16gb for android, fwiw.
tllim, I am looking at getting multiple cards, not lumping together. That's what I stated, I'd have a different card for each image I want to use. So I'm thinking of having 4 cards - 1 for Android, 1 for Remix, 1 for gaming emulators, and 1 for whatever else to play with.

yusijs, thank you. Sounds like maybe I need 16GB minimum then for each of them.

I've got a 16GB right now with Android, so I'll get a few more of those. As for doing a separate card for gaming, should I go for 32GB, or is 16GB big enough? Thanks again.
Kickstarter backer #5,864  --  SBC Noob  --  SE Michigan, USA
On my Raspberry Pi I use 16GB cards. So far I have one for Jessie, Libreelec and Ubuntu. I don't see why this would not work on P64. I wish I could say I've done the same on the Pine, but I'm still waiting for mine to get shipped.
(05-31-2016, 09:10 AM)jonW Wrote: On my Raspberry Pi I use 16GB cards. So far I have one for Jessie, Libreelec and Ubuntu. I don't see why this would not work on P64. I wish I could say I've done the same on the Pine, but I'm still waiting for mine to get shipped.

Different Linux distro can works well, but no Android (Remix) and Linux mix.
I'm currently using 1 card, and making a back up image via Win32DiskImager each time I switch, and then using it to restore.

That's working for me, since I'm patient. My main angst is having to use 16GB images on a card that's supposedly 32GB (Sandisk Ultra).
NexusDude of Central Texas
  • Setup: Pine64+ 2GB, On/Off button, RTC battery, 5V fan, LG 1.8A power adapter, Cat6 Ethernet, HDMI to TV, USB keyboard & mouse, SanDisk Ultra mSD "32GB" (28.7GB). Using Win32DiskImager.
  • Best OS experiences: Debian XFCE >> Android Lollipop > the rest
(06-13-2016, 07:49 PM)NexusDude Wrote: I'm currently using 1 card, and making a back up image via Win32DiskImager each time I switch, and then using it to restore.

That's working for me, since I'm patient. My main angst is having to use 16GB images on a card that's supposedly 32GB (Sandisk Ultra).

If you're running the longsleep ubuntu or debian linux builds, you can resize the file system to use the full 32GB (or whatever size your card is). 

Code:
sudo /usr/local/sbin/resize_rootfs
Sorry to ressurect this old thread, but I came across a smart extension to easily switch between multiple sd-cards.
http://s.aliexpress.com/F3aeu2mI
(03-07-2017, 06:23 AM)Tarjei85 Wrote: Sorry to ressurect this old thread, but I came across a smart extension to easily switch between multiple sd-cards.
http://s.aliexpress.com/F3aeu2mI

That looks nifty. Have you tried it to see if it works ? (not that there is a reason it wouldnt)
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter