UPDATED (June 2021): 17-distro multi-boot image for Pinephone (incl. 3GiB variant)
(01-03-2021, 09:50 AM)Diagon Wrote: I'm getting this error on attempting to resize the btrfs from Ubuntu 16.04:

[307611.254572] BTRFS info (device mmcblk0p2): disk space caching is enabled
[307611.254576] BTRFS: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (10).
[307611.279604] BTRFS: open_ctree failed

It works fine on a recent Gentoo.

Thinking back I believe I had to add btrfs to Ubuntu.

Try:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install btrfs-progs -y

That worked for me on 20.04. But for your issue, maybe this helps?
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions...ree-failed
Different versions of btrfs?
I selected the first distro, Arch, and end up at a screen with:

Arch Linux 5.10.0-rc5...

alarm login:

I assume the login may be root/1111, but I am unable to get a keyboard. Anyone have a suggestion?

Edit1: Hm. Now I've booted the second distro, also Arch, and while I only needed the 1111 passcode to get in, I can't get through the initialization, because I can't get a keyboard, which I need to put in the wifi password.

Edit2: These have to be distribution specific issues, because Mobian is giving me a keyboard, though it's not recognizing ethernet through the convergence dock when the dock is powered. I gather Mobian and Arch are supposed to be the two best working distros on this phone, so I want to see if I can get them both going.

Edit3: The login for that first purely CLI Arch distro is alarm/1111, which you can put in with a USB keyboard via the dock. To update that you have to run `pacman-keys --init` followed by `pacman-key --populate archlinuxarm`. Then you can update the system. For that second Arch distro, keyboard via the dock allowed me to upgrade Arch, which then gave me access to an onscreen keyboard.
I don't see anything wrong there. It's pretty much the same as I did - 128GB SanDisk card in a Brave Heart. Perhaps try the verification step on the phone after it boots into Manjaro just in case it's seeing something different?
ewqweqw
(01-08-2021, 09:45 PM)Diagon Wrote: I selected the first distro, Arch, and end up at a screen with:

Arch Linux 5.10.0-rc5...

alarm login:

I assume the login may be root/1111, but I am unable to get a keyboard.  Anyone have a suggestion?

Edit1: Hm.  Now I've booted the second distro, also Arch, and while I only needed the 1111 passcode to get in, I can't get through the initialization, because I can't get a keyboard, which I need to put in the wifi password.

Edit2: These have to be distribution specific issues, because Mobian is giving me a keyboard, though it's not recognizing ethernet through the convergence dock when the dock is powered.  I gather Mobian and Arch are supposed to be the two best working distros on this phone, so I want to see if I can get them both going.
Arch produced the same results for me (terminal logon) in the last two multiboot releases. I can plug a USB keyboard into my dock and logon to the terminal and try some things but startx doesn't work. Maybe wayland needs to be started. Here are a couple of links but I ran out of time for the effort for now.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3121...mmand-line
https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/run-wa...rch-linux/

Probably should search the Arch wiki too.

I've tried a couple of Arch (single boot images) and they both worked and booted to the desktop, as has arch-dreemurrs from the multi-boot selection screen. Mobian still works the best for me though and I've tried just about everything.

I haven't checked Ethernet on the dock with Mobian lately, but it used to work. I never got my MX-Linux Samba server working reliably though--even to another MX-Linux system Samba client. Ping always worked to and from the PinePhone though, for whatever that's worth. Many years ago I used Samba heavily but I read in various forums that it's become a PITA to get working these days! I gave up for now. mtp is all I need and it works well on the PinePhone.
(01-10-2021, 05:40 PM)calinb Wrote: Arch produced the same results for me (terminal logon) in the last two multiboot releases. I can plug a USB keyboard into my dock and logon to the terminal and try some things but startx doesn't work. Maybe wayland needs to be started. Here are a couple of links but I ran out of time for the effort for now.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3121...mmand-line
https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/run-wa...rch-linux/

Probably should search the Arch wiki too.

I've tried a couple of Arch (single boot images) and they both worked and booted to the desktop, as has arch-dreemurrs from the multi-boot selection screen. Mobian still works the best for me though and I've tried just about everything.

I haven't checked Ethernet on the dock with Mobian lately, but it used to work. I never got my MX-Linux Samba server working reliably though--even to another MX-Linux system Samba client. Ping always worked to and from the PinePhone though, for whatever that's worth. Many years ago I used Samba heavily but I read in various forums that it's become a PITA to get working these days! I gave up for now. mtp is all I need and it works well on the PinePhone.

Hey, thanks. 

On a cursory check, Manjaro seems to be working ok.  At least the Phosh flavor.  And the dock + power does work there. 

UBPorts has the same problem with that dock as Mobian - so it may be a Debian issue as it's in Devuan/LuneOS and KDE Neon, too.  Regardless, I'd have to say UBPorts looks pretty nice.  Though I'm not able to update it, or even change to another update channel, so I think it may need to be installed separately.  (At first I made the mistake of using apt-get to update, but you actually need to wait for an "OTA" in the update manager in Settings, or use `system-image-cli`; though I find the latter crashes on attempted update.)

I think those two and Mobian are the ones I'm going to work with.  Though I will get out a USB keyboard and see what I can do with Arch.  Thanks for that. It should probably be possible to get it working at least as well as Manjaro, no?
(01-10-2021, 06:40 PM)Diagon Wrote: I think those two and Mobian are the ones I'm going to work with.  Though I will get out a USB keyboard and see what I can do with Arch.  Thanks for that. It should probably be possible to get it working at least as well as Manjaro, no?

I've only had problems booting Arch from Megi's multiboot image. If you install (either to eMMC or SD card) from here, it should work as it's worked for me both times I downloaded an image:
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_S..._Linux_ARM

And again, Arch was an everyday carry contender for me. Right now Megapixels camera is broken in Mobian and I actually use my Magapixels  camera quite often, despite its minimal feature set. I might try Arch again soon.

Also as I recall, on the multiboot image OSes all share a common custom kernel so you can find performance and behavioral differences between the normal (official Pine / unoffical OS releases Wink and the multiboot.

I recommend trying OpenSUSE Tumbleweed too:
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_S...s#openSUSE

But I did have trouble finding a media player that worked well with media files on SUSE. I think the default player was the only one that handled audio correctly. Also, the software repository selection is rather limited. You're not going to find programs like Handbrake, for example, which actually works in Mobian! In addition to mp4 and mkv video files, I've played actual DVDs to my television using Mobian and the dock with an external DVD drive. Smile However, SUSE Tumbleweed is pretty solid with the few proggies that come installed, in my brief experience with it anyway. I don't know if it interest you but youtube-dl and mkvmerge (both CLI) have worked in every Pine OS I've tried. I've found mplayer (I use CLI for videos) and gmplayer (GUI for audio files) work the best for me, overall. Anyhow, I sometimes think the PinePhone+dock makes for a better personal computer than a phone (whereas Android and iOS phone are crappy PCs)! It makes me want to buy a PineBook Pro, if they ever sell them again!
(01-10-2021, 07:50 PM)calinb Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 06:40 PM)Diagon Wrote: I think those two and Mobian are the ones I'm going to work with.  Though I will get out a USB keyboard and see what I can do with Arch.  Thanks for that. It should probably be possible to get it working at least as well as Manjaro, no?

I've only had problems booting Arch from Megi's multiboot image. If you install (either to eMMC or SD card) from here, it should work as it's worked for me both times I downloaded an image:
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_S..._Linux_ARM

And again, Arch was an everyday carry contender for me. Right now Megapixels camera is broken in Mobian and I actually use my Magapixels  camera quite often, despite its minimal feature set. I might try Arch again soon.

Also as I recall, on the multiboot image OSes all share a common custom kernel so you can find performance and behavioral differences between the normal (official Pine / unoffical OS releases Wink and the multiboot.

I recommend trying OpenSUSE Tumbleweed too:
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_S...s#openSUSE

But I did have trouble finding a media player that worked well with media files on SUSE. I think the default player was the only one that handled audio correctly. Also, the software repository selection is rather limited. You're not going to find programs like Handbrake, for example, which actually works in Mobian! In addition to mp4 and mkv video files, I've played actual DVDs to my television using Mobian and the dock with an external DVD drive. Smile However, SUSE Tumbleweed is pretty solid with the few proggies that come installed, in my brief experience with it anyway. I don't know if it interest you but youtube-dl and mkvmerge (both CLI) have worked in every Pine OS I've tried. I've found mplayer (I use CLI for videos) and gmplayer (GUI for audio files) work the best for me, overall. Anyhow, I sometimes think the PinePhone+dock makes for a better personal computer than a phone (whereas Android and iOS phone are crappy PCs)! It makes me want to buy a PineBook Pro, if they ever sell them again!

Boy, this is rather lossy forum software.  My whole post was eaten ...

Using your USB keyboard idea, I was able to update that second Arch distro.  Now I get one onscreen, but oddly while Manjaro allows dock + ethernet + power, Arch doesn't (???)  Weird.

I was also able to log into the first Arch CLI-only distro (alarm/1111).  I can't get the ssh server daemon started, though.  It's installed, but I keep getting status as "Active: failed."  It also won't accept dock + keyboard + power.

I'll definitely try out OpenSUSE.  And thanks for the heads up on the kernel differences.  If you have any suggestions for unofficial OS releases, I'm all ears!

Handbrake on PinePhone!   youtube-dl/mkmerge too.  Excellent.  (I noticed youtube-dl had to make some changes after google threatened github/Microsoft.  I didn't see what the changes were, but they couldn't have been good.  And MS couldn't stand up to Google??)
Anyone know a straightforward way to create our own multiboot images?  I'd just like to put the two best working distros, which I gather are Arch & Mobian, on an SDCard and use those.
(01-10-2021, 11:57 PM)Diagon Wrote: Boy, this is rather lossy forum software.  My whole post was eaten ...

Using your USB keyboard idea, I was able to update that second Arch distro.  Now I get one onscreen, but oddly while Manjaro allows dock + ethernet + power, Arch doesn't (???)  Weird.

I was also able to log into the first Arch CLI-only distro (alarm/1111).  I can't get the ssh server daemon started, though.  It's installed, but I keep getting status as "Active: failed."  It also won't accept dock + keyboard + power.

I'll definitely try out OpenSUSE.  And thanks for the heads up on the kernel differences.  If you have any suggestions for unofficial OS releases, I'm all ears!

Handbrake on PinePhone!   youtube-dl/mkmerge too.  Excellent.  (I noticed youtube-dl had to make some changes after google threatened github/Microsoft.  I didn't see what the changes were, but they couldn't have been good.  And MS couldn't stand up to Google??)
Your report of power problems with Arch dock + ethernet + power reminds me that I've run into similar problems (or maybe that problem specifically, IIRC) with more than just Arch. Mobian power features have worked well for me though ("official" Mobian on eMMC is what I mostly use).

You've headed down the ARch CLI-only rabbit hole farther than I've gone. Thanks for the report.

One of the things I like about Mobian is the huge number of Debian packages! I've found the Bullseye section and "search" feature of this site to be helpful: https://debian.pkgs.org/

I just use the mkvmerge CLI. The GUI scaling was problematic, even after executing "scale-to-fit mkvtoolnix-gui on" in the terminal. IIRC, "scale-to-fit handbrake on" was somewhat helpful, but using the handbrake GUI sometimes still requires flipping back and forth between portrait and landscape screens and also toggling the keyboard on and off. The handbrake GUI is much easier to use with a USB keyboard and a monitor but someday I'll learn how to use the handbrake CLI. I hardly ever tweak settings like I enjoyed doing in the past.

I also installed "libdvd-pkg", "libdvdcss2" and "eject." To successfully complete the build of libdvdcss2 that is initiated by "apt install", I recall that I had to add the debian bullseye contrib repository to /etc/apt/sources.list. After all of the above, the default settings in handbrake typically take a bit over three hours for processing. Smile

On another topic, I successfully installed OSM Scout Server and flatpack to obtain Pure Maps, but my GPS has been worthless. I think my PinePhone has a hardware problem (antenna cable?), because the SNR is always very weak on all sats--even at the best of times. I need to pop the mid frame out and have a look.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,209 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,528 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,946 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 385 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,483 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,611 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,676 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 995 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma