[split] U-Boot with NVMe support, keyboard & display working
@NickL - by sleep you mean display sleep or entire system sleep ?

What is your booting success/fail ratio ?
Hi, I would like to try it, but from what I read I am not sure if it is fully working. Does it boot for example ayufan's Ubuntu? Also, where do I get the latest images for SPI flash?
@Wizzard - there are problems with booting kernels > 5.4. For some people only one try on ten boots is successful.
In previous post you have a patch for a newer kernels that circumvents the problems.

There are binary images for eMMC/SD and SPI in my repo.

But I wouldn't try to write to SPI if you don't feel adventurous. Try it on SD first and stay on the safe side.
Good, so are there the binary files with the patch for > 5.4 kernels, or I have to build it?
SD card is a problem for me, cause my SD card slot is broken and does not hold a SD card inside.
You would have to build the kernel yourself.
Some more testing for those of you who want to Smile

@strit from Manjaro has build kernel 5.9-rc7 with the patch that was posted here by @simonsouth.

So grab the kernel from arm-unstable branch, grab uboot from my repo and test. It should be ok.

Please post the results here.
@simonsouth

I have tested your kernel patch. Conclusions :

1. Problem - newer kernels locking/freezing during boot - SOLVED.
2. Problem - screen power management problem (cannot wake screen after it goes off) - SOLVED.

I tried to boot with the patched kernel about 40 times and couldn't get a lock so I would say it's fairly stable patch.

I have also uploaded new version of uboot to my repo.
Added features:

1. Btrfs support.
2. NVME boot option to menu.

If somebody wants to test the binaries ----> https://gitlab.com/as400l/pbp-uboot-display-menu

Remember - to have a consistent booting you must have kernel with @simonsouth patch.
@simonsouth - it is also very plausible that your patch will resolve problem with kexec. Which is there for last couple of years.

But I didn't test it.

I forgot to say - thank you for you work Smile
@simonsouth more good news. You also resolved problem with distortions on the screen after kexec Smile

I have tested today and it works ok. And this problem is present in the kernel for like last 3 years.

Will this patch be accepted into the mainline ?

P.S. I have tested kexec with all the display stuff compiled into the kernel (rockchip-drm, panfrost, analogix-dp etc.). It might make a difference but I don't really think so.
Nice work! It's a pleasure reading and learning from you all...

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  upgrading u-boot--what version? where to get it? bsammon 11 541 05-22-2024, 09:33 AM
Last Post: wdt
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 1,147 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 401 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,546 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 875 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Various freezes during boot & while running several Linux distros - hardware error? donuts 1 719 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Selling my Pinebook Pro with a bootable NVMe WD SSD drive pinemouth 0 859 09-27-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: pinemouth
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,373 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Dead Pinebook Pro Keyboard Keys calinb 2 1,191 09-02-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Does latest Tow-Boot install/work correctly for everyone? tophneal 4 2,130 08-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: tophneal