Usbnet via USB-C on PBP?
Hi!

I want to establish usb network between desktop and PBP.

On pinephone I can connect usb-c side of the usb a-c cable to the pinephone, usb-a side to a desktop and it works just fine, all necessary modules are loaded automatically (pmos 6.0.2 kernel), usb0 interface appears on both sides and i can establish networking.

But the same doesn't work with pinebook pro: when using the same cable and desktop to connect to nothing happens: no modules loaded, no usb0 interfaces appear, kernel is similar (pmos 6.0.2). Loading all necessary modules manually (usbnet, cdc-ether, etc…) doesn't help. lsusb doesn't change after plugging in the usb-c cable.

To rule out software problem I also tried Manjaro, still can't establish usb network and lsusb output is unchanged as well.

I found the following comment:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...9#pid86259

Quote:the Pinebook Pro does not support USB C alternate mode, HDMI video.

I do not understard if alternate USB-C mode affects only video output or other functionality such as USB networking. But PBP has a docking station, so its usb-c should be capable for more than DP video output. I tried to use PinePhone's docking station: it seems to work, but I can use only usb-a ports due to some problem with my docking station (see more details in this thread).

Anyway to make usb-a - usb-c usbnet link work on PBP the same way as on PinePhone? (I know chipsets are different).

I need all these because I often have to use the laptop in the environment without WiFi, so usbnet is the only way to provide desktop an d internet access to the PBP without working eth port on the docking station.

Messages In This Thread
Usbnet via USB-C on PBP? - by bircoph - 11-05-2022, 05:52 PM
RE: Usbnet via USB-C on PBP? - by ericzolf - 09-24-2023, 10:57 AM
RE: Usbnet via USB-C on PBP? - by fxc - 09-24-2023, 02:34 PM
RE: Usbnet via USB-C on PBP? - by ericzolf - 09-24-2023, 11:59 PM
RE: Usbnet via USB-C on PBP? - by DrYak - 09-25-2023, 05:23 AM
RE: Usbnet via USB-C on PBP? - by ericzolf - 09-25-2023, 11:19 AM
RE: Usbnet via USB-C on PBP? - by bircoph - 11-15-2023, 10:28 PM
RE: Usbnet via USB-C on PBP? - by wdt - 11-16-2023, 01:39 AM