PinePhone convergence docking bar malfunctioning
Hello,

I have PinePhone (3GB variant) with Pine''s convergence docking bar. It worked fine for a while, though there were some occasional bugs (e.g. usb-c power don't work or docking bar no longer recognized and pinephone reboot is needed for bar to work again). But later eth port, hdmi and usb-c ceased to work at all: the phone is no longer charged via bar's usb-c, eth port is not visible (leds are down, no eth device created) and HDMI output no longer works. Both USB-A ports still work fine (I can connect mouse/keyborad/USB flash to the pinephone) and USB-C seems to provide power to the USB-A devices (e.g. usb mouse diode is turned on when I connect it to the docking bar with power plugged in into usb-c port while disconnected from the pinephone).

First I though this is some software bug, but reverting to older kernel where it worked doesn't help. Then I updated ANX7688 firmware from Megi's tree, but the bug is still here. It is possible that there is physical damage to the docking station, because I carried it often in the backpack, but there is no visible damage on the bar or its cable.

Have anyone encountered similar problem? Maybe this is a known issue I'm struggling about.
Any thoughts?

How convergence docking bar casing can be opened safely? Looks like it has some internal hatches, but I'm not sure. I want to examine internals for some obvious problem like broken circuit soldering.
(11-05-2022, 04:45 AM)bircoph Wrote: Hello,

I have PinePhone (3GB variant) with Pine''s convergence docking bar. It worked fine for a while, though there were some occasional bugs (e.g. usb-c power don't work or docking bar no longer recognized and pinephone reboot is needed for bar to work again). But later eth port, hdmi and usb-c ceased to work at all: the phone is no longer charged via bar's usb-c, eth port is not visible (leds are down, no eth device created) and HDMI output no longer works. Both USB-A ports still work fine (I can connect mouse/keyborad/USB flash to the pinephone) and USB-C seems to provide power to the USB-A devices (e.g. usb mouse diode is turned on when I connect it to the docking bar with power plugged in into usb-c port while disconnected from the pinephone).

First I though this is some software bug, but reverting to older kernel where it worked doesn't help. Then I updated ANX7688 firmware from Megi's tree, but the bug is still here. It is possible that there is physical damage to the docking station, because I carried it often in the backpack, but there is no visible damage on the bar or its cable.

Have anyone encountered similar problem? Maybe this is a known issue I'm struggling about.
Any thoughts?

How convergence docking bar casing can be opened safely? Looks like it has some internal hatches, but I'm not sure. I want to examine internals for some obvious problem like broken circuit soldering.

Hi.
I have exactly the same issue: lsusb shows only the "1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub" device, and there is no HDMI output and no LAN. Excepting PinePhone I connected the docking bar to an Android smartphone with a PD charger. Does anybody know, is it a hardware or software issue?
It can be either hardware or power supply to the dock.
Make sure the cable is plugged into a sufficient power supply wall plug.
Sometimes you may have to flip the USB C cable and then reattach.
You might find that it operates best when left alone. If you unplug and plug in elsewhere there may be some issues.
I have a total of three docks and two are Pine64 docks and they work fine however another Pine dock I had failed to operate at all.
I also have an additional dock by another company and it works reasonably well.
Somewhere in the comments there are power supply requirements listed out.
Also try unplugging other things in a wall outlet so the dock is the only item being power supplied.
Good luck.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTED: Arch Plasma, Arch Phosh , Manjaro Phosh, Manjaro Plasma
Fedora, Mobian, Postmarket Plasma, Postmarket Phosh, Kali, SXMO.
(12-07-2022, 02:01 PM)Chief Wrote: Make sure the cable is plugged into a sufficient power supply wall plug.
I have tried different adapters.

Quote:Sometimes you may have to flip the USB C cable and then reattach.

Tried this as well.

Quote:I have a total of three docks and two are Pine64 docks and they work fine however another Pine dock I had failed to operate at all.
Any idea how to disassemble one?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 500 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  Case for Pinephone totilele 12 6,441 11-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Negome
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 7,862 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 375 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 431 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Use the Linux Console with the PinePhone Keyboard mburns 2 878 10-20-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Convergence package USB-C Docking Bar for Wired Ethernet (part II) Peter Gamma 4 811 10-08-2023, 11:49 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Mouse for the PinePhone? Peter Gamma 21 14,454 10-04-2023, 10:24 AM
  PinePhone Wallet Case Shane 5 4,764 09-17-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: J T
  KB: Using bus powered USB peripherals with the pinephone keyboard mounted docsunset 9 35,098 08-07-2023, 06:12 AM
Last Post: mikeb