request for help to get nacl pm track
While I was waiting for the phone I had a lot of time to involve to installing the software, but when it arrived I had to work a lot and therefore I didn't have time anymore (actually I live in Austria and the phone took three more weeks to arrive, in those three weeks I would have had time). However, I had found the same the time to try pmos but tring to make phone calls I received an error of a still unsupported function and in addition the signal was really low and I could not even connect to internet. I hope I don't have any hardware problems, but I want to try again and I need some help to know if there is a distribution with connetion/calls already working so that I can test the phone.
(03-13-2020, 01:23 PM)vinnie Wrote: ... but I want to try again and I need some help to know if there is a distribution with connetion/calls already working so that I can test the phone.

IMHO Debian + Phosh is the current pick of the bunch. Phone calls (in & out), SMS (in & out), incoming phone ring all work out of the box, as does mobile data.

One huge caveat: as I write this there is a hiccup with the release that means it (probably) hangs wile booting - hopefully will be resolved soon.  I can break the hang by logging in via ssh, for a fresh install dont think there is any option as openssh is not included in the build (I added it a week ago before the hang problem).
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(03-13-2020, 03:32 PM)+dukla2000 Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 01:23 PM)vinnie Wrote: ... but I want to try again and I need some help to know if there is a distribution with connetion/calls already working so that I can test the phone.

IMHO Debian + Phosh is the current pick of the bunch. Phone calls (in & out), SMS (in & out), incoming phone ring all work out of the box, as does mobile data.

One huge caveat: as I write this there is a hiccup with the release that means it (probably) hangs wile booting - hopefully will be resolved soon.  I can break the hang by logging in via ssh, for a fresh install dont think there is any option as openssh is not included in the build (I added it a week ago before the hang problem).

Thanks for the advice and I'm not sure if I ask you if there is an old version of deb+phosh for tring the same.
in the meantime I tried to reinstall postmarketos with pbootstrap and I must say that things have also gotten worse since the last test of a month ago. now if i click on the icon to call it is only shown the phone icon  at center of the screen and nothing else. The connection does not work
I was advised from a friend to connect with SSH and then to use AT commands with minicom but  how should I install it without connection Huh 

But my friend remembered he was able to call with postmarketos and told me to download the latest version of the image instead of using pmbostrap.
I tried it, apart from the fact that the size of the partition doesn't extend for the whole size of the sd, it's actually a different version from the pmbootstrap one!
The calls don't work the same, (the dialer only starts once, then it seems to fail to load) but there are other applications that aren't in the pmbotstrap version.
However, most of these applications don't start like the dialer, for example there is an application called "buho" that loads and then closes, and "kadan" does the same thing.
Now how can I tell if pmos or my phone that have the problems, is clearly written somewhere what works and what doesn't work? I don't know, all this lack of clarity is really problematic for me, I don't expect everything to work but at least that wich work is documented.
For example, the fact that the phone can't load applications, is that normal?

Cry
The 20200314 version of Debian + Phosh has resolved the problem - try it.

Like you I find plasma mobile desktop 100% unintuitive! Maybe this dog is too old to learn new tricks ...
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(03-14-2020, 03:09 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: The 20200314 version of Debian + Phosh has resolved the problem - try it.

Like you I find plasma mobile desktop 100% unintuitive! Maybe this dog is too old to learn new tricks ...

Thanks I try it immediately!
Okay, sorry about the timing, but I stopped for a little bit to try the distribution.
I must say that this time the result can be considered a success:
1) the phone calls and receives calls!
2) it seems more reactive
3) gps works!

There are also some negative points:
1) if I activate the mobile data the signal disappears and I can't even call anymore (but I don't think it's a hardware problem)
2) the keyboard! there is no control, there is no alt, I can install programs with apt but I can't use them because they come out of the screen and can't be moved and resized in any way. I tried to modify a file with nano but obviously without control I can't save it! (i have the impression that phosh is not a good choice in this moment)
3)the draining of the battery still seems too much. by the way I don't see that I can turn off the gps so maybe it's always on!

For the rest, thanks a lot, to you and the developer of this distro, if I have time in the next few days (as I predict) I'll be back to experiment Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb MACtrack: Track MAC addresses to their street address using WiFi (Phosh Desktop App) RTP 2 2,635 04-10-2021, 11:16 PM
Last Post: RTP