LTS will not boot with 7" LCD connected
Photo 
Just received my A64 LTS with Playbox and 7" LCD from Pine after many delays (another story). Very excited!

My LTS boots fine (eMMC) with Armbian Buster and an HDMI monitor connected. I'm powering via the supplied 5V/3A barrel connector ps. However with the LCD DSI cable attached, the LTS will not boot - the green power light comes on, dims slightly, then goes out after a couple of seconds.

It seems I'm not the only one with this issue:
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/8392-pin...ment-95229

Quote:After plugging everything together I inserted the DC barrel jack (original 5V 3A power supply) and then the LED goes on only for 1-2 seconds and then goes off.

Does this seem like a hardware issue? On that discussion, someone mentioned a similar issue until they used a swapped out the A64 board.
(03-11-2020, 09:49 PM)GregH Wrote: Just received my A64 LTS with Playbox and 7" LCD from Pine after many delays (another story). Very excited!

My LTS boots fine (eMMC) with Armbian Buster and an HDMI monitor connected. I'm powering via the supplied 5V/3A barrel connector ps. However with the LCD DSI cable attached, the LTS will not boot - the green power light comes on, dims slightly, then goes out after a couple of seconds.

Quote:After plugging everything together I inserted the DC barrel jack (original 5V 3A power supply) and then the LED goes on only for 1-2 seconds and then goes off.

Does this seem like a hardware issue? On that discussion, someone mentioned a similar issue until they used a swapped out the A64 board.
On advice from the Pine Support Team I double-checked that I had the latest Armbian image (5.4.20) and re-downloaded it for a re-flash. No change.
I have since attached a battery and swapped the jumper on power select jumper to select BAT. The LTS now boots with the LCD DSI & TS cables connected, but I get a problem during boot which tells me:

Code:
Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
See systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service

Which reveals:

Code:
? systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service.d
           +-10-timeout.conf
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-03-22 23:17:58 UTC; 1min 32s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
  Process: 555 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Main PID: 555 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Mar 22 23:17:58 pine64so systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
Mar 22 23:17:58 pine64so systemd-modules-load[555]: Failed to find module 'gt9xxf_ts'
Mar 22 23:17:58 pine64so systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 22 23:17:58 pine64so systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 22 23:17:58 pine64so systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

For some reason the gt9xxf_ts module isn’t found.
Also note that when I edit /boot/armbianEnv.txt, the pine64_lcd line isn’t present as implied by the note in the instruction “Change off to on”.

Any ideas?
It seems that the Armbian mainline kernel doesn't support the LCD gt9xxf_ts module (confirmed by Pine), but it may be possible to use a legacy kernel or OS image to get the LCD to work.

For my purposes I have abandoned the 7" LCD and am using a Waveshare 5" LCD panel using HDMI+USB. It's a shame because it would have been much more elegant to use the DSI interface (to avoid having large connector plugs, for one).

I also have a useless 7" LCD; anyone know a good use for it?
(03-22-2020, 06:09 PM)GregH Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 09:49 PM)GregH Wrote: Just received my A64 LTS with Playbox and 7" LCD from Pine after many delays (another story). Very excited!

On advice from the Pine Support Team I double-checked that I had the latest Armbian image (5.4.20) and re-downloaded it for a re-flash. No change.
I have since attached a battery and swapped the jumper on power select jumper to select BAT. The LTS now boots with the LCD DSI & TS cables connected, but I get a problem during boot which tells me:

Code:
Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
See systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service

Which reveals:

Code:
? systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service.d
           +-10-timeout.conf
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-03-22 23:17:58 UTC; 1min 32s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
  Process: 555 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Main PID: 555 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Mar 22 23:17:58 pine64so systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
Mar 22 23:17:58 pine64so systemd-modules-load[555]: Failed to find module 'gt9xxf_ts'
Mar 22 23:17:58 pine64so systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 22 23:17:58 pine64so systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 22 23:17:58 pine64so systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

For some reason the gt9xxf_ts module isn’t found.
Also note that when I edit /boot/armbianEnv.txt, the pine64_lcd line isn’t present as implied by the note in the instruction “Change off to on”.

Any ideas?

Hello GregH,

This module is no longer required the good module is goodix. It supports the panel.

I can say that the LTS doesn't boot for me either when the LCD panel is connected. It will boot, LCD will work, but just before login it just shuts down.

Can you detail what did you do to make it work?

Best regards,
I must say that the panel is working when plugged the battery and set the jumper to battery.

Do you know why it works? Isn't it strange that it just work on battteries?

My pine64 LTS is powered over the Euler bus so no undervoltage possible. So what's the problem?
Hi, did you get solution to this problem ?

I have two boards, an 2GB LTS and older 1GB Pine A64+. The LTS is powered via the DC barrel connector and a 5V 3,4A Power supply, and for the Pine A64+ I used a 5V (supposedly) 2,5A USB Power supply. I got the LCD working on both devices after I activated it in the hardware section ind the armbian-config.

Since I got some reboots on the A64+ I tried to power it up via the DC IN pins on the Euler. This is where It got crazy. Suddenly the LCD did not power up and I was able to boot the board when disconnecting the flat ribbon cable from the LCD and using HDMI.

More strangely - the armbianEnv.txt got completely messy containing some entries related to logging settings and some weird characters. I do not know if the LCD can be used when the board is powered via the euler bus
Hi @gaguilar , I'm sorry to say I haven not got the LCD to work with the Pine A64 LTS (on Armbian) and have simply given up. The LCD panel is stashed away somewhere now. Good luck in solving this!