Updating UB-ports
Hey,
If you run "sudo apt-get update && apt upgrade -y "
Does it upgrade the OS to the latest build? Or do we have to flash a new build img every time? If it is recommended to flash a new image, can you do this with keeping the data on the device?
Yes i got updates with apt, but I think you need to update the image so now and then.

If you want to keep the data use a cloud storage like dropbox (not tried that yet) or git etc.
I tried updating the OS but I have a conflict that I am having trouble resolving.

qtubuntu-sensors package is no longer needed so I am trying to remove that package to make way for libqt5sensors5-sensorsfw but it is not letting me do that after I tried to update the system. Basically telling me to run apt -f install but that returns the same error message. I guess I will have to see how to remove conflicting packages when errors like these show.
(02-21-2020, 09:55 AM)DrewTechs Wrote: I tried updating the OS but I have a conflict that I am having trouble resolving.

qtubuntu-sensors package is no longer needed so I am trying to remove that package to make way for libqt5sensors5-sensorsfw but it is not letting me do that after I tried to update the system. Basically telling me to run apt -f install but that returns the same error message. I guess I will have to see how to remove conflicting packages when errors like these show.

apt or "apt-get remove" and then possibly purge are the commands you're looking for,
(02-21-2020, 09:55 AM)DrewTechs Wrote: I tried updating the OS but I have a conflict that I am having trouble resolving.

Ran into the same issue a couple days ago.  I had to remove the offending package mentioned when you try to run 'sudo apt upgrade' with a dpkg command like the one below.  I assume this bypasses a dependency check, allowing the user to remove any package without checking to see if it might break other things.

Code:
sudo dpkg -P qtunbuntu-sensors
sudo apt upgrade

After running the above command.  I ran a normal apt update again and it installs the package that was previously refusing upgrade.

I also ran into a similar problem with libunity-api package.  I just followed the same steps as before, and I was able to upgrade the conflicting packages.

Code:
sudo dpkg -P libunity-api
sudo apt upgrade

I don't know for sure if these steps are a safe/stable thing to do, but I haven't run into any noticeable problems for the last couple days. 
Personally, I have been running apt upgrades since build #216 and things seem to be working well enough.  My current plan is to do a re-flash to internal memory of Ubuntu Touch about ounce a month, unless a there is some reason brought up in the forums or GitLabs to do otherwise.
(02-21-2020, 04:17 PM)pjsf Wrote:

apt or "apt-get remove" and then possibly purge are the commands you're looking for,

"apt remove" didn't work for me with the unmet dependency still present, but "dpkg --remove" worked fine.
(02-22-2020, 10:02 AM)lachoneus Wrote:

Ran into the same issue a couple days ago.  I had to remove the offending package mentioned when you try to run 'sudo apt upgrade' with a dpkg command like the one below.  I assume this bypasses a dependency check, allowing the user to remove any package without checking to see if it might break other things.

Code:
sudo dpkg -P qtunbuntu-sensors
sudo apt upgrade

After running the above command.  I ran a normal apt update again and it installs the package that was previously refusing upgrade.

I also ran into a similar problem with libunity-api package.  I just followed the same steps as before, and I was able to upgrade the conflicting packages.

Code:
sudo dpkg -P libunity-api
sudo apt upgrade

I don't know for sure if these steps are a safe/stable thing to do, but I haven't run into any noticeable problems for the last couple days. 
Personally, I have been running apt upgrades since build #216 and things seem to be working well enough.  My current plan is to do a re-flash to internal memory of Ubuntu Touch about ounce a month, unless a there is some reason brought up in the forums or GitLabs to do otherwise.

I managed to fix that problem with dpkg like you said.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UB ports forum Cree 1 2,798 08-06-2020, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Giiba