Regarding sales numbers
I think it would be rather nice to get an indication on how many phones that has been preordered. Exact numbers is less important but ballpark figures to get a feel for how much demand there is for a device like this one.
Does anyone else care about numbers like that?
Would that be at all possible or is it corporate business secrets?
(11-15-2019, 01:10 PM)nas Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 04:27 AM)qrsBRWN Wrote: I think it would be rather nice to get an indication on how many phones that has been preordered. 

Based on the orders numbers posted on twitter, at least 150 had been sold by 9.45am despite the server problems. If we extrapolate an average pre-order rate of approx 200 per hour then this batch could be sold out by midnight gmt.

This is freaking brilliant. Wait, numbers of orders are posted on twitter?
I would love a counter so we an see in close to real time how many other think this is as awesome as I do.
(11-15-2019, 02:03 PM)qrsBRWN Wrote: This is freaking brilliant. Wait, numbers of orders are posted on twitter?
I would love a counter so we an see in close to real time how many other think this is as awesome as I do.

no, just individual order confirmation numbers from random pinephone pre-orderers, so the estimate is entirely speculative!
(11-15-2019, 05:13 PM)nas Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 02:03 PM)qrsBRWN Wrote: This is freaking brilliant. Wait, numbers of orders are posted on twitter?

no, just individual order confirmation numbers from random pinephone pre-orderers, so the estimate is entirely speculative!

Ah. I see, it's still an indication. Just less reliable.
(11-15-2019, 04:27 AM)qrsBRWN Wrote: I think it would be rather nice to get an indication on how many phones that has been preordered. Exact numbers is less important but ballpark figures to get a feel for how much demand there is for a device like this one.

I'm rather interested in a number of new contributors joining relevant projects when this batch arrives. But at that time one can see it by an increasing number of commits. Wink
(11-16-2019, 02:24 AM)Dmytro Wrote: I'm rather interested in a number of new contributors joining relevant projects when this batch arrives. But at that time one can see it by an increasing number of commits. Wink

True, it's rather hard to track given that the amount of software projects involved.
Given that git is what it is though one could retroactively track any and all projects relevant.
Initially numbers of contributors to ubports, pmos etc could rather interesting.
(11-15-2019, 04:27 AM)qrsBRWN Wrote: I think it would be rather nice to get an indication on how many phones that has been preordered. Exact numbers is less important but ballpark figures to get a feel for how much demand there is for a device like this one.

Huh   Have you asked the Pine64 Team  ?

I would really like to see this effort succeed  !

Back when the Ubuntu Touch made its Debut  I never did find one sales outlet  !

I wanted to purchase a Linux phone Then.

If the general public never even hears about it,  How many of them will purchase one..?

We Really Need to talk to the general public about the advantages of using a Linux Phone  !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-17-2019, 03:45 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Huh   Have you asked the Pine64 Team  ?

I would really like to see this effort succeed  !

Back when the Ubuntu Touch made its Debut  I never did find one sales outlet  !

I wanted to purchase a Linux phone Then.

If the general public never even hears about it,  How many of them will purchase one..?

We Really Need to talk to the general public about the advantages of using a Linux Phone  !

I haven't contacted the team in any other way. I kinda sassume they read the forums.

As for the general public, I am less concerned about them at this point. It's not time for them yet.
  There are hundreds of posts everyday,
    Eventually they will most likely notice and respond,       But they do usually respond to a direct email within a day or two.

As far  as the public Most of them do not even realize that their Smart Phones are actually invading their Privacy .

Next time you are standing in line some where waiting to check out,   ask the person behind you  " if they know what Linux is" ....
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-17-2019, 04:09 AM)bcnaz Wrote:    
  As far  as the public Most of them do not even realize that their Smart Phones are actually invading their Privacy .

Next time you are standing in line some where waiting to check out,   ask the person behind you  " if they know what Linux is" ....

I'm quite aware that the general public isn't educated about privacy and/or the benefits of software freedom.
The reason I really don't factor in the general public for general purpose Linux on mobile devices is that we are quite far away from a compelling option for them.

What we need now is a device for people already on board. The Pinephone fits that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 722 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Buyer beware: Pine64 is not checking their sales email, won't alter or cancel orders 3x5co 5 4,012 01-10-2023, 06:30 PM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Will there be any September Pinephone sales ? bcnaz 10 9,550 09-10-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  sales@ non-responsive olegb 2 3,000 03-12-2020, 03:55 AM
Last Post: olegb
  Sharing photos - please be mindful of modem numbers Luke 0 3,192 02-07-2020, 04:31 AM
Last Post: Luke