youtube solution?
(08-02-2018, 08:12 PM)kwarren Wrote: is there a distro / config / sd card benchmark comparison?

I have had a pi 3 for a while, and have noticed sd card and gpu dedicated memory settings make a pretty big difference in web-video quality.
..And some other things: browser...

I thought the 4GB ram version [rock 64] I purchased would handle youtube no problem. I was wrong - so far.

currently using ubuntu 18 with mate desktop. It was supposed to include lxde, but refused to load anything other than openbox with tons of popup error dialogues.
I guess I've overestimated the state of arm style gpu support.
command line performance seems far better than pi 3, apt installs things way faster - making me think it's not an SD card issue.

Anyhow, has anyone been able to use this as a *linux* media[pretty much pass the youtube test] center?

what were the best results?
distro?
display/window manager?
hdmi cable version?
type of sdcard?
browser?
is there someway to dedicate more memory to gpu?

Im not sure if this can help you, at least it will point you in the right direction:
- for your youtube problem (i personally didnt test this one): https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4535
- and for "a *linux* media center [youtube]" that i DID personally test and works FLAWLESSLY (at least in regards to youtube) add the youtube addon to this: http://test.libreelec.tv/  (fair warning, its in HEAVY alpha, the last month images seem very stable if used for base tasks as watching youtube and videos and music but there are people still reporting problems with very high end tvs and hdr and stuff like that...(im allmost sure that you want a full *desktop* linux and also use it as media center but you need to be super specific when asking questions here)

PS: since you had problems with your desktop linux of choice, did you try the armbian distro? i tested it a few months back and it was working fine for all desktop tasks, tho i didnt test at that time youtube or video/media... https://www.armbian.com/rock64/ but at their page it now have the "multimedia" part on the name, so maybe they enhanced that part...

Messages In This Thread
youtube solution? - by kwarren - 08-02-2018, 08:12 PM
RE: youtube solution? - by Trash_Can_Man - 08-03-2018, 08:00 AM
RE: youtube solution? - by dkryder - 08-04-2018, 06:23 AM
RE: youtube solution? - by Trash_Can_Man - 08-04-2018, 07:48 AM
RE: youtube solution? - by dkryder - 08-05-2018, 05:17 AM
RE: youtube solution? - by kwarren - 08-04-2018, 09:46 PM
RE: youtube solution? - by Trash_Can_Man - 08-04-2018, 09:57 PM
RE: youtube solution? - by kwarren - 08-04-2018, 10:03 PM
RE: youtube solution? - by kwarren - 08-05-2018, 04:25 PM
RE: youtube solution? - by kwarren - 08-05-2018, 07:10 PM
RE: youtube solution? - by kwarren - 08-06-2018, 11:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Solution to run a TvHeadend on Rock64? Tetterl 17 13,790 03-16-2020, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Rocklobster