Pine64 was a Useless Project
Thumbs Down 
I purchased 2 Pine64 boards thru crowdfunding hoping it will be a great board and good alternative to Raspberry, but still i am struggling to get a fully functional OS for these boards and mostly other people also stopped developing and supporting these boards. from past 3 years these boards are lying and eating dust. I tried stable release of Android, Ubuntu etc. but non of them are useful neither for work nor at entertainment.

Pine64 has not fulfilled what it promised while launch. Angry
(05-23-2018, 10:21 PM)pushpendrak Wrote: I purchased 2 Pine64 boards thru crowdfunding hoping it will be a great board and good alternative to Raspberry, but still i am struggling to get a fully functional OS for these boards and mostly other people also stopped developing and supporting these boards. from past 3 years these boards are lying and eating dust. I tried stable release of Android, Ubuntu etc. but non of them are useful neither for work nor at entertainment.

Pine64 has not fulfilled what it promised while launch. Angry

I'll agree insofar as whoever was in charge of the marketing campaign needed a sharp smack to the face repeatedly. Other than that, the times I've used mine on Android (usually the 6.x or 7.0x series) it has been perfectly fine for doing media streaming and even light web browsing and watching youtube, etc. And on the linux side, I've been running one pine64 for the last few months as a lightweight git repo host, file sharing/cifs, downloading of large files overnight, etc. I have another one that has a high-gain wifi antenna and battery backup that I intend to use as the master for a clusterboard of 7 sopine modules. So it really comes down to what you want the board to do, once you realise it's true capabilities, as opposed to the hyped marketing campaign.
Is the ROCK64 any better?  I have a PINE A64, acrylic case, and the weird American version of the Z-Wave adapter (with the weird serial port adapter).  The CPU and I/O are powerful enough but forget graphics and full-speed Gigabit Ethernet.
When it comes to the 4GB Version, it is. In our little project we run several tools like elastic search, apache tika & some other webservices on a rock64 board with max Memory and once they are up it is a smooth use. 

It is much slower then an Intel NUC (that was one of the alternatives for us), but boy is it smaller and simpler to handle.

And less expensive. And runs on 5 Volt. And ... and.

So yes, it is good compared to other boards (Odroid C2, BPI-M64, ...) and I personally thin its currently one of the best in that Segment.
I've been running one pine64 for the last few months as a lightweight git repo host, file sharing/cifs, downloading of large files overnight
I'm the lord of ocean 
(07-19-2018, 03:13 AM)Nilda Wrote: I've been running one pine64 for the last few months as a lightweight git repo host, file sharing/cifs, downloading of large files overnight
because there are people that try to resolve and do things, and there are people that prefer to go and take a dump on someone's head instead. If I were a moderator, I'd just delete that useless garbage bitching which the OP post is. and the thread altogether. he even didn't say what exactly hasn't worked out, just been moaning and ran away.

I am using my Pine64+ for my OSDev efforts. and I'm happy with it. Yet, today 4GB Rock64 has arrived to me. Very fast and everything is OK. I love the enthusiasm of Pine.org folks. I very doubt they make loads of money of this, I see that there is a passion yet, it's nice. it's out of their possibilities to become an OS vendor yet. especially it's hard to do with such a mess as linux is. they make hardware. and it was clear from the beginning - all these ARM SBCs are DIY, community, open source etc. that means you pay for HW, everything else is your luck. no "big evil corporation" providing you fully functional OS that you use and still bitch about.
ANT - my hobby OS for x86 and ARM.
(07-19-2018, 07:43 AM)z4v4l Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 03:13 AM)Nilda Wrote: I've been running one pine64 for the last few months as a lightweight git repo host, file sharing/cifs, downloading of large files overnight
because there are people that try to resolve and do things, and there are people that prefer to go and take a dump on someone's head instead. If I were a moderator, I'd just delete that useless garbage bitching which the OP post is. and the thread altogether. he even didn't say what exactly hasn't worked out, just been moaning and ran away.

I am using my Pine64+ for my OSDev efforts. and I'm happy with it. Yet, today 4GB Rock64 has arrived to me. Very fast and everything is OK. I love the enthusiasm of Pine.org folks. I very doubt they make loads of money of this, I see that there is a passion yet, it's nice. it's out of their possibilities to become an OS vendor yet. especially it's hard to do with such a mess as linux is. they make hardware. and it was clear from the beginning - all these ARM SBCs are DIY, community, open source etc. that means you pay for HW, everything else is your luck. no "big evil corporation" providing you fully functional OS that you use and still bitch about.

Its OK. Locking or deleting the thread would potentially do more harm then good. I rather have him complain about the board than complaining elsewhere about being prohibited from voicing his disappointment on here.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(07-19-2018, 12:57 PM)Luke Wrote: Its OK. Locking or deleting the thread would potentially do more harm then good. I rather have him complain about the board than complaining elsewhere about being prohibited from voicing his disappointment on here.

Indeed. Everyone needs somewhere to vent... might as be here since it's pine64 related Wink Then perhaps we can help the OP... although, the previous poster did have a point that nothing specific was raised that we could help with. I have rock64s that mostly run 24*7, and at least one pine64 that was also running 24*7 as a IRC bot, file and git server. But basically everything is offline atm due to some renovations in progress. However, the point is that yes these board are rough around the edges. But as long as you can work within that, they run great. It's a matter of finding that sweet spot which can be challenging! Wink
the OP states a widely accepted opinion that pine64 has not fulfilled what was promised at launch of the first pine64 board. also mentioned a fairly widespread opinion that a fully functional o/s suitable for work and entertainment has not been provided. at launch there was a huge gap between what the campaign hype promised and what could actually be achieved.of course pine64 response was and continues to be that they are not a software provider, even though they continue to provide company builds that are not very well, if at all, maintained. responses that someone could find "something" to do with these boards do not really address what the OP was posting about. pine64 original kickstarter campaign made them a bunch of money but eventually lost them a lot of backer goodwill and community members. granted, all of this has been hashed before but it is an earned legacy of that original ks campaign to continued to be deservedly hashed.
(07-22-2018, 12:17 AM)dkryder Wrote: the OP states a widely accepted opinion that pine64 has not fulfilled what was promised at launch of the first pine64 board. also mentioned a fairly widespread opinion that a fully functional o/s suitable for work and entertainment has not been provided. at launch there was a huge gap between what the campaign hype promised and what could actually be achieved.of course pine64 response was and continues to be that they are not a software provider, even though they continue to provide company builds that are not very well, if at all, maintained. responses that someone could find "something" to do with these boards do not really address what the OP was posting about.  pine64 original kickstarter campaign made them a bunch of money but eventually lost them a lot of backer goodwill and community members. granted, all of this has been hashed before but it is an earned legacy of that original ks campaign to continued to be deservedly hashed.

Why you keep to here forum ? 
they can't promised. Huh

I bought one pine A64, but can help arm single bard computer   grow up and  can give  very small company grow up for arm market .I have no regrets.
If I am wrong please correct my content , thank !

1. Use Pine64 Running Ubuntu 16.04 Web Server ( LAMP )

2. Use Pine64 Running Official Android 6  for Media player
3. Use Pine64 Running Volumio Digital Audio Player

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question External storage problem for pine64 Dani6102 4 1,599 08-22-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Pine64 as wireless audio device S265 3 3,114 04-07-2022, 10:39 PM
Last Post: S265
  Pine64(+) and manjaro dsychan 0 1,094 04-05-2022, 11:32 PM
Last Post: dsychan
  Pine64 LCD rstcologne 0 3,077 09-22-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: rstcologne
  Pine64+ power button PaddyChan 0 2,725 09-14-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: PaddyChan
  Pine64 OS dpcons 2 4,883 03-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Last Post: dpcons
  Jailhouse supports Pine64+ vj-kumar 0 2,796 02-17-2020, 11:39 PM