Steps to get 4k HDR over the LAN
Hi, 
I want to play 4k UHD HDR10 movies on the projector over the LAN network (Gigabit eth) from my NAS and I think I found a perfect device - ROCK64 MB Smile however a strong competitor is a ready product - chinese TV Box with a touch remote so tell me does this beautiful board support 4k HDR10 already with a nice Android/Linux OS and I can configure everything in a few hours or it's like still under development and beta status?

I know Linux and IT stuff enough to run commands and handle configuration but I want to avoid situation that there is no stable OS, missing drivers and I will spend weeks to setup everything. Also which OS do you recommend as "smart TV" OS? I guess I need something similar that popular TV boxes has (based on Android) or maybe just any OS with Kodi or Plex? All comments welcomed before I buy oneSmile thanks
(04-16-2018, 11:45 AM)3d0 Wrote: Hi, 
I want to play 4k UHD HDR10 movies on the projector over the LAN network (Gigabit eth) from my NAS and I think I found a perfect device - ROCK64 MB Smile however a strong competitor is a ready product - chinese TV Box with a touch remote so tell me does this beautiful board support 4k HDR10 already with a nice Android/Linux OS and I can configure everything in a few hours or it's like still under development and beta status?

I know Linux and IT stuff enough to run commands and handle configuration but I want to avoid situation that there is no stable OS, missing drivers and I will spend weeks to setup everything. Also which OS do you recommend as "smart TV" OS? I guess I need something similar that popular TV boxes has (based on Android) or maybe just any OS with Kodi or Plex? All comments welcomed before I buy oneSmile thanks

No, it doesn't support any HDR.
(04-17-2018, 08:28 AM)Blinky Wrote: No, it doesn't support any HDR.

Sad so what does "4K60P HDR10 Media Board" actually mean? I thought that it's a better version of PINE64 for media center with 4k HDR support if I install any Android TV on it.
Stock android supports HDR in RKMC. LibreELEC is working on implementing HDR in their releases.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(04-18-2018, 05:23 AM)Luke Wrote: Stock android supports HDR in RKMC. LibreELEC is working on implementing HDR in their releases.

OK. Correct me if I'm wrong but to me it sounds like it doesn't really work at the moment and I can't get what I need with this board actually so seems I have to buy TV Box with HDR support.
(04-18-2018, 09:00 AM)3d0 Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 05:23 AM)Luke Wrote: Stock android supports HDR in RKMC. LibreELEC is working on implementing HDR in their releases.

OK. Correct me if I'm wrong but to me it sounds like it doesn't really work at the moment and I can't get what I need with this board actually so seems I have to buy TV Box with HDR support.

On the ROCK64 stock Android build, play back 40p60 HDR already supported.
(04-19-2018, 05:35 PM)tllim Wrote: On the ROCK64 stock Android build, play back 40p60 HDR already supported.

Ok, you're confusing meSmile I think I do not care which version of Adroid it is as I'm not going to use it in 100% of power - what I need is 4k HDR streaming without any hiccups. I would name it as a bridge between NAS and projector and do not need sexy UI and fancy features - just click and play.

So final one - should I buy this board or TV Box is a better solution? That device probably has a better support for 4k multimedia but 2-3x more expensive and still I do not need all these features.
(04-20-2018, 05:18 AM)3d0 Wrote: Ok, you're confusing meSmile I think I do not care which version of Android it is as I'm not going to use it in 100% of power - what I need is 4k HDR streaming without any hiccups. I would name it as a bridge between NAS and projector and do not need sexy UI and fancy features - just click and play.

So final one - should I buy this board or TV Box is a better solution? That device probably has a better support for 4k multimedia but 2-3x more expensive and still I do not need all these features.

tl and luke can probably answer this better as I'm not interested in 4k/HDR atm. I just wanted to point out that luke said earlier that (1) Stock android supports HDR in RKMC. and (2) LibreELEC is working on implementing HDR in their releases. Since the board does support 4k natively, it sounds like you have one option for software that is operational right now, and a second option is being worked on so should hopefully be available soon. For the best video performance, you'll want Android atm anyway, so with the right apps installed, it should work just fine.
(04-20-2018, 05:37 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 05:18 AM)3d0 Wrote: Ok, you're confusing meSmile I think I do not care which version of Android it is as I'm not going to use it in 100% of power - what I need is 4k HDR streaming without any hiccups. I would name it as a bridge between NAS and projector and do not need sexy UI and fancy features - just click and play.

tl and luke can probably answer this better as I'm not interested in 4k/HDR atm. I just wanted to point out that luke said earlier that (1) Stock android supports HDR in RKMC.  and (2) LibreELEC is working on implementing HDR in their releases. Since the board does support 4k natively, it sounds like you have one option for software that is operational right now, and a second option is being worked on so should hopefully be available soon. For the best video performance, you'll want Android atm anyway, so with the right apps installed, it should work just fine.

Yep, if you want HD audio and HDR then you need to use RKMC. The issue with RKMC is that it has poor video quality compared to regular KODI on android and LibreELEC. I posted about it here on a different forum.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thank you guys. Then it leads me to this forum: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916 and it seems I need to invest in the better device to have HDR with good video&sound quality like MINIX U9.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AOSP Build Steps Using github.com/ayufan-rock64/android-7.1 birender.s 15 19,943 05-09-2018, 01:20 AM
Last Post: burram