where is static IP addr?
Question 
Received 2 rock64 - and tinkering with the OS (Xenial-Mate) for a few days - looks good. 
One topic I can't crack is: where does the IP address go when I use the GUI Network-Manager? (rightclick the taskbar icon top-right and edit connections)
I enter (IP4 tab) a fixed IP, netmask, gateway and add 2 nameserver IPs.
When checking (after reboot) I can see (connection information) that all IPs I entered are correct.
Then I go /etc/resolv.conf and see the info there that this file will be overwritten.
/etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0 - shows eth0 as dhcp

Where is the static IP going when I enter it on the IP4 tab?
I'm not a master linux nerd. I do know a great deal of linux - this one, though, is a bit too difficult to solve  Confused

I do most work via putty, but was not able to setup the fixed IP there.
Also - why do I see the rock64 as an internal LAN IP on my router? The fixed IP, which I setup above, is an external IP.
usually i give the router the external IP and devices on local network get internal IP established by the router.
(10-06-2017, 04:30 AM)dkryder Wrote: usually i give the router the external IP and devices on local network get internal IP established by the router.

I do this as well;  in addition, I also have the router give the internal dhcp machines a "constant" address based on mac address;  this is not the same as a static address, but accomplishes the same thing -- all internal machines get an address which is fixed, but without coding a static IP.  ( not all routers support this, but most modern ones do )
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Hmmm - I think we talk past each other?
Never thought about a router setup you guys mention. I own several fixed external IP addresses.
But for this question, I merely want to know where, in the rock64 filesystem, does the fixed IP that I enter on the IP4 tab, go?

We have a nice linux filesystem where I can almost always find the files, settings and directories I want.
E.g /etc/network/interfaces - /etc/resolv.conf - /etc/hosts - /etc/hostnames - and etc. so it's always easy to control your setup desires.
But with the rock64 I am unsure where everything has moved - and why?
hey skipper one of the ways for successful communication is to use accepted terminology so that everyone is on the same page. so i'm kinda lost. the rock64 filesystem is almost identical to the pine64 or sopine. maybe kernel and related are different, but i would love to know how you set up your router/modem to interface not only with the external network [the internet/tunnels/etc] but also your local network?? could you take a moment to explain how you are setup so i can get an idea of what kind of situation you have? thanks
Hmm - let me try, dkryder.
My router is a fritzbox 7490.
It is delivered from my ISP, preconfigured to their servers.
The router is setup with an external facing fixed public IP addr. and an internal 192.168... network.
I can setup my internal devices by either taking their MAC addr. (but can't do that with the rock64, as the MAC changes on every boot, and my ISP told me that I can only enter MAC addresses for internal device IPs) and enter it into the routers Home Network, allocating it a fixed internal IP - or I can just let a device connect to the router and it is automatically given an IP via the routers DHCP service.

On top of that I have several other public fixed IP addresses, which my ISP has setup on the router. Those addresses are on another netmask and gateway IP.
Those are the IPs I wish to use for the rock64.
When I connect a rock64 to the network they obviously are allocated an internal network IP.
I want to allocate them one of my external public fixed IPs, so for that to happen I need to baptize the rock64 itself in the /etc/network/interfaces by entering eth0 as static and add address, netmask and gateway manually - as well as entering 2 dns-nameservers in the /etc/resolv.conf. (this procedure I have done for years without any issues.)
So that's where I have to give up, as those files are not responding with my entries when rebooting. Hence my comment about where everything has moved Wink Somewhat confused, I admit.

..oh, and that's where my further confusion sets in:
When I login to a rock64 via the GUI and open up Edit Connection - I can enter (on the IP4 tab) external fixed IP, netmask and gateway - plus 2 nameservers.
After reboot all this is showing correct in Connections Information.
OK - I'm thinking - so I go to /etc/network/interfaces and see that the entries I made on the IP4 tab are not there, which I would have thought.
Looked in /etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0 - nothing there either - just the default entries: allow-hotplug eth0 and iface eth0 inet dhcp
This is why I'm thinking: where has the GUI network manager entries from the IP4 tab gone?
to literally answer your question:
i do not know where networkmanager stores these settings.
but you are right, they are not in the "low-level" config files.

however...
(10-06-2017, 12:14 AM)skipper Wrote: I do most work via putty, but was not able to setup the fixed IP there.
you mean command line?
networkmanager has a command line interface, accessible with
Code:
nmcli
and
Code:
nmtui
iirc.

hope this helps.
Thx, dahni.
Oh well - I hope one of the devs (or someone other in the know) will be able to inform me where NM stores those IP addresses.
Thx also for the NM CLI (yeah I meant command line) interface links. I have seen those long time ago, but forgot about them.
Everything is in "interfaces" , "udev" ,  and /etc/NetworkManager/

Shy
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(10-06-2017, 09:44 AM)skipper Wrote: .... snipped...
I can setup my internal devices by either taking their MAC addr. (but can't do that with the rock64, as the MAC changes on every boot,
.... snipped....

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...2#pid30892

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question stretch-minimal with static IP and GUI RDC skipper 1 2,557 11-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Last Post: dontpostalot