sick of Ubuntu mate
Hello

Im sick about ubuntu mate..... too slow!!!

What do you recommend, Q4OS or Armbian?
I will install it on eMMC

Thanks
(08-29-2017, 02:23 PM)abrmx Wrote: Hello

Thanks

Why not try both from SD first ? depends what DE you like best I suppose. Perhaps give i3 a go too ?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(08-29-2017, 02:52 PM)Luke Wrote:

Thanks

Why not try both from SD first ? depends what DE you like best I suppose. Perhaps give i3 a go too ?
Hello Luke
Thanks for your reply. I have a Samsung SD. Do you think the SD would be faster than the eMMC? The i3 is Debian? I dont know that dist.
(08-29-2017, 03:14 PM)abrmx Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 02:52 PM)Luke Wrote:

Thanks

Hello Luke
Thanks for your reply. I have a Samsung SD. Do you think the SD would be faster than the eMMC? The i3 is Debian? I dont know that dist.

No, a SD will not be faster than eMMC - in fact it will be much slower.But its easier to test if you will like an OS or not - that's why I suggested it. If you will like it, you can just install it to eMMC. 

i3 isn't a distro (its still ubuntu) - its a window manager

Armbian is ubuntu too - with XFCE
Q4OS is Debian - with KDE 
There is also an arch image if you want to give that a try (its minimal, so you'll have to install the DE which suits you best).
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

hi,  i3 is a window manager designed for engineers, programmers, and power users. Our xenial-i3 image is built over ubuntu which is a debian derivative. 

i3 has a bit of a learning curve;  see the on-line tutorials (videos) and visit the  i3wm.org/docs/  page.

I am a solid sold out convert to the i3wm tiling window manager;  fabulous-- can't say enough. ofc  YMMV
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I concur. I watched the official video and the three videos on Code Cast and was convinced enough to try it - and never looked back. Its great for smaller screens on things like the Pinebook:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...sU7ZmkGzcf

Andy
thanks for the fast response everyone. Yesterday I downloaded the Armbian and the Q4OS. I will test it today and I will keep you posted about the results.
Maybe anyone have a tutorial for i3 for pinebook? Or I just need to install it via apt-get install i3?
There's a helpful thread here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4641

and a nice tutorial on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...sU7ZmkGzcf

you can sudo apt-get install i3 - if you're currently on Ubuntu Mate you can switch window managers in the login screen (target like icon in top right of screen on my system)

You may want to configure wifi etc first as i3 doesn't have this - although you can use nmtui in a terminal.

As the above referenced thread suggests some power management features are currently missing such as battery % indication and suspend on lid closure... but if we get some momentum behind i3 on Pinebook maybe these will be solved as i3 is quite extensible and configurable with scripts.
See my link here:

Shy
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to switch Android to Ubuntu ? omnis2a 1 2,937 06-30-2017, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Luke