DVD Ripping
(07-31-2017, 08:02 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Joey,  keeping in mind that pfeerick is a law-student in Australia,  in the United States even  "ripping" your DVD(s) is illegal !  ... in fact, in many jurisdictions even owning the software that allows you to "rip" your DVD(s) is illegal !  ... under DCMA, and DRM.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a card carrying member of the FSF and I stand strictly in opposition to those two laws...

Funny you would mention that. I didn't know that Australia had a Title 17 United States code, nor that it had a fair use doctrine. Oh, wait a minute... IT DOESN'T! And since when is Digital Rights/Restrictions Management a law? Or does that stand for something else (because the last I checked, it was still a licensing system, but because it brings encryption with it, it interacts with the DCMA - but is not a law itself)? And unless I was aware of a provision with regards to owning software, that's not the case either. The DCMA provisions are explicit on that it is the circumvention of encryption that is illegal, unless you seek an exemption, which you need to renew every three years. This is exactly the reason why there is no issue with format shifting of Audio CDs for use with your MP3 player or iPod. Unlike in the UK, where a couple of years ago legislation was introduced that lifted the draconian laws that prohibited exactly that, and less than 2 years later (in 2015), rolled back the changes. Making it so that the 'Rip CD' option in iTunes is illegal to use in the UK. The option is still there in the software, you just can't 'legally' use it!

Here in Australia we still have what we jokingly refer to as VHS era rules (because until just recently, it was STILL 'illegal' to record something on the TV to watch later, yet you could would into any electrical store and pick from some 20 different models of VCR, but in the US that was dealt with properly in the aforementioned Sony vs Universal case, which funnily enough revolved around fair use) where it's OK to copy a song onto one device, like your iPod, but illegal to copy it onto two, like your iPod and iPad. It’s also illegal to copy a video file, say from a DVD, onto another device like a tablet. Which hasn't stopped our population one bit... and more than 60% believe that it should be legal. And it's all because you don't own the copy of the movie on that DVD, it's 'licensed', and you're bound by the conditions of that license, and what the law then entitles you to do.

For example, a direct quote from the FBI: "The FBI recognizes that the fair use of copyrighted materials, as codified in Title 17, United States Code, section 107, does not constitute copyright infringement. The APW Seal is not intended to discourage fair uses of copyrighted materials that are consistent with U.S. law" (APW being the FBI Anti-Piracy Warning Seal). So if you are following the copyright rules (which are morally reprehensible, but that is another issue), and the fair use doctrine, (which exists to make copyright more palatable) then you are fine. The catch here comes from the DCMA act's encryption circumvention clauses.

(07-31-2017, 08:02 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Keep in mind if you provide a mini torrent to your dorm its not fair use...

... if you provide a small distribution to your neighbourhood friends, its not fair use...

... if you distribute to even ONE person in the public sphere, it is not fair use...  

Yes, that's all true, but that also has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OPs stated purpose, so please stop bringing up irrelevant stuff simply to prove a point. And stop scare-mongering. The OP did not mention dorms nor distribution. In fact, he clearly stated it was for personal use. Enough said.

Messages In This Thread
DVD Ripping - by joey - 07-31-2017, 04:57 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 07-31-2017, 05:05 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 07-31-2017, 05:19 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by joey - 07-31-2017, 05:12 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by pfeerick - 07-31-2017, 07:27 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 07-31-2017, 08:02 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by pfeerick - 08-01-2017, 03:20 AM
RE: DVD Ripping - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 08-01-2017, 07:14 AM
RE: DVD Ripping - by KryPtAlIvIaN - 08-01-2017, 11:10 AM
RE: DVD Ripping - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 08-01-2017, 11:52 AM
RE: DVD Ripping - by joey - 08-01-2017, 02:58 PM