DVD Ripping
(07-31-2017, 04:57 PM)joey Wrote: I am working on a project to rip all of my physical DVDs to digital files, and sharing them on my network via minidlna from my Pine board. Right now, I am using DVD Decrypter+Handbrake on my Windows box, and I'm getting decent enough rips. I'm wondering if it makes sense to connect a USB DVD drive and rip directly on the pine using something like handbrake-cli. Would the USB have enough bandwidth to do both reading from the DVD and then writing to the 1TB drive? Or am I better off sticking with my Windows box doing the rips and just copying the files across the network once the rip is complete? Has anyone else attempted to do something like this already? If so, do you have any scripts you can share to make my life easier?

Because of the fair-use provisions of Title 17 of the US code, you have little reason to to be concerned about any FBI investigations. For personal use of materials which you have legally purchased, whilst the purpose and character of the use being non-commercial not an automatic trigger for the fair use protections, when linked with not  allowing the public to obtain material at no cost, this will almost completely stop an action in its tracks, and anyone who has been following the DMCA and fair use discussions over the years would know this. The FBI will not investigate personal use duplication, but will only focus on duplication for distribution, which has effect on the works value (cue why Sony's BetaMax wasn't stopped in it's tracks by Universal, because there was no evidence to prove that their viewership or business was negatively affected, it just died out because Sony was stupid and didn't make it comparable to VHS in length & price until too late). 

But getting back to your question... DVD read speeds are based off 1X (1.3MB/s), and since reads starts slow, and increase as you get to the outer edges which are moving past the head faster, let's say 10x overall. so 13MB/s overall read speed. USB2 is theoretically 60MB/s, but because of marketing bs, overheads, and limitations, lets cap it at 40MB/s on the pine64. So you have some 27MB/s leftover at best for the USB, and it can't write faster than the DVD can read, so a straight 1:1 transfer would imply you'd be fine. 

But, you want to use something like handbrake-cli, so the question should probably be ... can the A64 CPU keep up, or will it be the bottleneck. As I think that you'll find the USB2 performance, if tweaked right, can keep up, or be marginally over-saturated.. in a 1:1 transfer, but as soon as you want to compress... the CPU will be the bottleneck. By how much, I don't know. But there is hw accelerated encoding present, so maybe it will cope, maybe not?

Messages In This Thread
DVD Ripping - by joey - 07-31-2017, 04:57 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 07-31-2017, 05:05 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 07-31-2017, 05:19 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by joey - 07-31-2017, 05:12 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by pfeerick - 07-31-2017, 07:27 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 07-31-2017, 08:02 PM
RE: DVD Ripping - by pfeerick - 08-01-2017, 03:20 AM
RE: DVD Ripping - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 08-01-2017, 07:14 AM
RE: DVD Ripping - by KryPtAlIvIaN - 08-01-2017, 11:10 AM
RE: DVD Ripping - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 08-01-2017, 11:52 AM
RE: DVD Ripping - by joey - 08-01-2017, 02:58 PM