Wanted: Better power adapter for Pinebook.
It'd be great to get a better power adapter for the Pinebook (e.g. longer cable, in-line power brick instead of wall wart). I've considered taping an extension cord to the to the wall wart that came with my Pinebook, but I'd prefer something a little nicer looking. Has anyone found an adapter online that they prefer for their Pinebook?
If you're after a long cable, they you could get this cable from the Pine store (there is also a 1m version) and then buy a compatible USB PSU rated 3A 5V from amazon or a different online store. Do note: do not buy 'smart' PSUs for tablets, as they will likely not deliver the required current despite the rating.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(07-14-2017, 02:56 PM)flingtoad Wrote: It'd be great to get a better power adapter for the Pinebook (e.g. longer cable, in-line power brick instead of wall wart). <snip>

This is a pice (above) of the 2m cable (80 inches) from the Pine store. With the cable is pictured my 3000mah 12v SLA with CPT (car power technology) dc-dc converter;  modified for usb output. The SLA has the CPT package taped to the case, and the usb female connector is adapted using standard header pins & connectors. 

I designed this to be used with my pine boards aboard the sailboat, but it works equally well camping or from the office (Caribou Coffee House). The SLA is recharged via solar panel ( for those of you living off the grid ) and the batt-CPT combo is used to extend the range of the Pinebook by about 4-5 hours.

The way to use this setup is to have the SLA CPT batt plugged in to the Pinebook with a full charge on both!  The SLA is drained first, and then at some opportune moment the SLA is unplugged and the internal lipo takes over.  This gives me all day at the office without any extension cords.  ( or all day anchored at a cove on the sailboat )

At home we have mains extensions permanently installed at various strategic locations (lazy boy chair, kitchen table, library reading chair, etc).  The wall wart works great in those places;  but, you may be missing the entire point of the Pinebook;  inexpensive portability !  There should be no in-line power adapter bricks ...  just an opinion of course.  And, actually, I have found that with suspend and between use bootups I actually get several days from my Pinebook without any external power whatever.

One last thing to keep in mind;  your lipo batt is going to want to be cycled !  This is very important;  don't just plug that thing in and run it from mains all the time-- that will ruin the lipo and|or shorten its life !
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(07-14-2017, 02:56 PM)flingtoad Wrote: It'd be great to get a better power adapter for the Pinebook (e.g. longer cable, in-line power brick instead of wall wart). <snip>

In the spirit of this thread... using the USB cable and a different power supply... This may also be a viable option... Anker PowerCore 26800... it's a high capacity USB powerbank, which can also be used to change anything else that charges via USB, and supports 5v@3A on a single port... so it should have the oomph that the pinebook could potentially need. Then again, I've only up to 1.8A on the 5v side for the pinebook, so it shouldn't stress the PowerCore either. I only suggest this because past experience with Anker products indicates they do make quality products... so it should what it says on the box... unlike a lot of other usb powerbanks you can buy. Yes, it does mean you would have to charge it when it's flat, and would need a Qualcomm 3.0 compatible wall charger to get the fastest recharge times, but it should provide OTG power and no cables... and you'd get quite a bit of run time from the pinebook with that unit Wink
(07-14-2017, 08:24 PM)pfeerick Wrote:

In the spirit of this thread... using the USB cable and a different power supply... This may also be a viable option... Anker PowerCore 26800... it's a high capacity USB powerbank, ....

I found a "USB Hub" 5V/4A in-line power supply on Amazon. Does a nice job of charging the Pinebook even when running Firefox. It has a standard 3.5/1.35mm plug so it needs no surgery to be useful, and you can get it delivered a lot more quickly than obtaining another 3A wall-wart supply from Pine64.org.  The extra ampere rating seems to make a big difference in charge times. I would that it had longer cords on each side of the supply block - I think altogether it is a meter long. Though it appears well made, I haven't had it more than a day. We will see how long it lasts.
"Get your facts straight first, then distort them as you wish." -- Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinebook 1080p power/barrel connector/cable cel 0 485 08-03-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: cel
  eMMC compatible with Pinebook leperotero 0 1,309 07-19-2022, 07:15 AM
Last Post: leperotero
Heart [solved] Anyone selling their Pinebook? feyn 0 1,154 07-11-2022, 03:38 PM
Last Post: feyn
  Move PB Pro eMMC 128 GB to Pinebook 11 1080p petet0n76 1 1,538 06-07-2022, 10:35 PM
Last Post: tllim
  UART switch Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 3 3,181 01-03-2022, 03:28 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
Exclamation "6" Key direly needed for 11" Pinebook Corkonian 1 2,509 09-25-2021, 12:03 AM
  Pinebook 14 " Battery Swollen/Bulged billjon 1 3,513 01-13-2021, 11:03 AM
Last Post: barray
  touchpad on pinebook issues? ron_burgundy 14 13,440 12-19-2020, 06:55 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Pinebook doesn't charge anymore Reinoud 0 2,615 08-20-2020, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Reinoud
Information How To Setup Serial Console Cable Over the Pinebook MarkHaysHarris777 4 22,638 07-02-2020, 06:33 PM