Recovery button
Another question about something on the board. What does the recovery button do?
When used properly, it puts the board into Loader Mode, which is a special mode in the bootloader which allows data to be written/read directly from the eMMC chip, over a USB cable to a computer.

But while the board is running an OS, it should not do anything.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(07-04-2017, 11:55 AM)fire219 Wrote: When used properly, it puts the board into Loader Mode, which is a special mode in the bootloader which allows data to be written/read directly from the eMMC chip, over a USB cable to a computer.

1. The OTG port of the Rock64 is a USB Type A Female socket.
  2. All of the USB ports on my desktop systems USB Type A Female sockets.
So what kind of cable would you use to connect the Rock64 to the other computer (i.e., any of my desktop systems)?

TIA!
Eric P.
Portland, Oregon
(01-24-2021, 06:00 PM)PDXpi Wrote:
(07-04-2017, 11:55 AM)fire219 Wrote: When used properly, it puts the board into Loader Mode, which is a special mode in the bootloader which allows data to be written/read directly from the eMMC chip, over a USB cable to a computer.

1. The OTG port of the Rock64 is a USB Type A Female socket.
  2. All of the USB ports on my desktop systems USB Type A Female sockets.
So what kind of cable would you use to connect the Rock64 to the other computer (i.e., any of my desktop systems)?

TIA!

You are correct in your observations. Wink 

You need a USB Type A Male-Male cable. Then you can flash the eMMC with a utility like rkflashtool.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

Thanks, Fire219 - Using your description (i.e., "USB Type A Male-Male") I was able to find a variety of cables for this task!

(I'd been searching for "USB Type A OTG". And that wasn't finding the male-male cables.)

I'm really looking forward to being able to flash the eMMC card now without having to open the case!
Eric P.
Portland, Oregon
(01-25-2021, 08:10 PM)PDXpi Wrote: I'm really looking forward to being able to flash the eMMC card now without having to open the case!

But the Recovery Button is inside the case. And there's no way to access it without having to open the case. Exclamation

Ug!  It would have been good if the Recovery Button were accessible from the outside - The same way the the Power Button and the Reset Button are!

Thanks, anyhow!
Eric P.
Portland, Oregon

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3D-Printable Button Pegs for the ROCK64 Aluminium Case CounterPillow 2 3,364 08-04-2022, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Vicky Weimann PhD
  Attaching a physical button to the ROCK64 momoster69 1 4,060 03-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Last Post: dkryder
  Extending power / reset button nmhart322 5 7,140 12-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Last Post: dkryder