Mali driver on linux?
Question 
Is there any Mali driver on ubuntu or debian?
(02-25-2017, 10:00 PM)jamiechang917 Wrote: Is there any Mali driver on ubuntu or debian?

Have you find an answer?
I'm also waiting for Mali video drivers on linux.
You both may wish to read this very long thread ...
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I think people are getting a bit disappointed in the status of hw acceleration. Tbh its taking a really long time despite the setbacks. Any way we could get an update that isnt "its being worked on"? Maybe give us a little more info on whats going on the community might help the devs fix the issue, at the very least it would help set people at ease on the issue by including the community a bit more in its development.
(07-04-2017, 02:58 PM)Gnx Wrote: I think people are getting a bit disappointed in the status of hw acceleration. Tbh its taking a really long time despite the setbacks. Any way we could get an update that isnt "its being worked on"? Maybe give us a little more info on whats going on the community might help the devs fix the issue, at the very least it would help set people at ease on the issue by including the community a bit more in its development.

Dev logs from the IRC are made public both for Pine64 and Rock64 --- anyone who wishes to follow can. If you read the backlog for the past month or more you'll see what has been a lot of talk about mali on the A64. We have a dev image with mali for the Pine64 but its not ready to be released.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

oh ok I wasnt aware of the log. glad to see theres solid progress on it. thank you for the information.
(07-04-2017, 02:58 PM)Gnx Wrote: I think people are getting a bit disappointed in the status of hw acceleration.

Whilst that is true (people getting disappointed over perceived lack of progress), I'd just like to reinforce the fact that Mali does not equal hardware acceleration. It is ONLY a 3D engine - the display engine which handles display on the monitor is completely different, and has been working from nearly day one. Without it, we would NOT be able to run a GUI/desktop environment on linux. What Mali will help with is any OpenGLES 3D rendering, and should also help with being able resize and scale videos in memory, allowing for fullscreen video / dynamic resizing of video windows.
Oh I agree 100%, without knowing the irc is where all the "action" is its hard to know whats going on. I looked at some of the logs and now my understanding is much better. Im just happy theres progress being made.
Since I do have a need for the 3D engine, (I write games and use SBC's to demonstrate GPU/Shader coding) Has this been resolved yet?
Brian Beuken,
Very old game programmer, teaching very young game programmers, a LOT of bad habits.
Lecturer in Games Programming @ BUas in The Netherlands. Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming. Check out my website www.scratchpadgames.net and feel free to join the forum even if you don't own the book.  

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  +LTS/SOPINE Compilation procedure for U-Boot and Linux for pineA64 LTS. danpurprakash@gmail.com 1 4,102 06-05-2019, 11:50 PM
Last Post: igorp
  Pine Board using linux stuck during boot sequence ktaragorn 0 2,761 03-23-2019, 04:06 AM
Last Post: ktaragorn
  USB Wireless Drivers with Longsleep Linux Kernel jacobscarter 15 24,529 03-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Ubuntu boot very slow with wifi driver remainder 9 20,661 08-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Last Post: victorssantos
  linux mint fra0hf 9 10,618 10-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Last Post: jkmooney
  dmesg output flooded with "CPU Budget hotplug"/ "Mali: Set gpu frequency to X" cplr 2 5,026 07-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Last Post: cplr