GUI on openSuSE
Dear all,

I am not that computer savvy and not at all a Linux expert.  I installed openSuSE on my Pine64 hoping there was going to be a GUI but suddenly I am faced with a prompt line after login.  Is there a GUI?  How do I access it?

Thanks!
(12-05-2016, 09:36 PM)joaoreino Wrote: I am not that computer savvy and not at all a Linux expert.  I installed openSuSE on my Pine64 hoping there was going to be a GUI but suddenly I am faced with a prompt line after login.  Is there a GUI?  How do I access it?

hi, I have not used it yet, but we talked about it...  check in :

/usr/local/sbin/

... for a script that installs the desktop | gui.

Typically the distro will be what we call a base image and will carry an optional gui installer script for those who want it. This is for sure how the ubuntu base image works.  The developer of the openSuSE image set things up similarly; I do believe.

Please post here one way or the other... we'll have someone look into it if there is still an issue.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(12-05-2016, 09:36 PM)joaoreino Wrote: Dear all,

I am not that computer savvy and not at all a Linux expert.  I installed openSuSE on my Pine64 hoping there was going to be a GUI but suddenly I am faced with a prompt line after login.  Is there a GUI?  How do I access it?

Thanks!

GUI is not installed in my base images. If you want to install a GUI, run "sudo pine64-config.sh" select "Install a Desktop Environment" and select from the different desktop environments that are available.

Do note that internet connection is required for the installation process to run.
Donate BTC: 3Eav9uqXi8Nx1axb7QjK6xV4km4K9YGv9a
(12-05-2016, 10:02 PM)Terra854 Wrote: GUI is not installed in my base images. If you want to install a GUI, run "sudo pine64-config.sh" select "Install a Desktop Environment" and select from the different desktop environments that are available.

Do note that internet connection is required for the installation process to run.

Thank you.  Will try that.
Thanks terra854:

Big Grin
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Didn't know your config could do that terra854 - that's pretty neat.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Can I get a brief run three on how to get into wifi? And well like a copy paste of commands? Cause this pine board is spanglish compared to what I speak.i mean I had an easier time rewriting Skyrim console commands to the Sony console. I know Linux some what but nothing and I mean nothing will work with this image. Please help me. Open suse is the only os I am interested in it just puts everything else to shame if you can use it to its potential. Just maybe a copy of the initial spread sheet would be nice. I'm working on something else till you can get back to me ThaNX.
Sad){ :|: & };:
you need to go to the opensuse website and do some reading. in my opinion the opensuse image is second only to the armbian image but both of them require a dedication to teach oneself a good bit. just get to work, even if it is on something else. and that's if this post is for real. damn spambots are getting real cute around here.
Installing KDE

Code:
zypper install -t pattern kde kde_plasma
After KDE is installed, you can log into it by simply logging out and selecting KDE under Session Type at the login manager.
Switching to KDM

Code:
Edit the file /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and set DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

Regards,
Christian
How long is it supposed to take to load the GUI?   currently I'm at 2 hrs. with.

Retrieving                                                              .
filling the screen.  I'm trying to load KDE 5.

After 18 hrs. I stopped the install, ran Expand the file system and started over, I saw several File Conflict errors and the install aborted. the last error message was

File  /usr/share/man/man7/usr-session-keyring.7.gz
      From install of
          man-pages-4.14-1.1.noarch (openSUSE-Ports-Tumblweed-repro-oss)
     Conflicts with package from
         Keyutils-1.5.9-5.5.aarch64 (@System)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [28/03/2017] openSUSE Tumbleweed Images for Pine64 Terra854 44 69,334 08-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Last Post: anaumov