About the SoPine A64 and the Pinebook
(12-04-2016, 12:51 PM)Luke Wrote:
(12-04-2016, 08:45 AM)jhgoodwin Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 06:55 AM)Nick Wrote: As long as it's a reliable, good-quality laptop that runs Linux well (or Android, especially Remix), I'm definitely interested.

I signed up, too, but I'm a little torn.  For anything that *CAN* run android and has a screen, I'd like to request consideration for a touchscreen option, even if there is not a fancy hinge to let it bend backwards or swivel into a tablet form.

My reasoning is that for something with android capable hardware, it's just a shame to turn down all the software that's been touch optimized.

As an aside, that's why I didn't buy a chromebook this recent black friday/cybermonday.  There were tons of great deals, but the mix just seemed enough off that I'd end up feeling like I got a great bargain on something I don't really want.   Screen quality, screen res, screen size, decent keyboard action, touch screen, 4GB+ RAM, 32GB or 16GB+ memory card slot, decent CPU, decent battery.  Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to hit these at a reasonable price point.

John

I get what you are saying. Then again, there are so many cheap touch devices running droid (you can build a pine64 playbox), I am not sure touch the right fit for the pinebook. I'm no expert but I believe that a touch screen is +15-20% the price of a regular screen (?). There are other drawbacks too, such as increase in battery consumption. Personally, I never understood the appeal of touch on a laptop, but I fully understand that some people find it useful/ appealing. Perhaps it'll be included in the next iteration ?

Also, are you considering the pinebook as a daily driver (guessing from what you wrote about the cybermonday deals)? If yes, then I don't think its intended to replace your Dell or Macbook laptop, in the same way the pine64 isn't meant to replace a dedicated $300 media PC or server.

I don't see any reason why the Pinebook can't be used as a daily driver. Unless the build quality and durability is THAT bad, if the Pinebook ships with Remix or some other kind of reliable Linux OS (Ubuntu, etc).. I don't see a reason why the average consumer who wants a cheap Windows 10 alternative laptop couldn't use this everyday. I guess it depends if the Pinebook is marketed as a laptop, or as a Pine64 single board in a laptop chassis. This could be the Chromebook alternative as well.

Most consumers don't need high-powered computers. They just think they do. I had about 25 different operating systems/Linux distros on my old 700mhz netbook (came with a form of Linux). It's still running today. But I also never opened it up, and changed anything from stock.

Messages In This Thread
RE: About the SoPine A64 and the Pinebook - by Nick - 12-05-2016, 02:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK power supply (Pinebook Pro 64) skobi 0 2,316 11-17-2019, 04:55 AM
Last Post: skobi
Lightbulb pdeclib pilib modules for Pine, Rock, Pinebook, Sopine MarkHaysHarris777 7 8,044 08-13-2017, 01:14 AM
Last Post: tllim
Question +PINEBOOK How to go about setting up your own Jenkins build system for pine64 / pinebook images pfeerick 2 15,822 05-31-2017, 02:42 AM
Last Post: pfeerick