About the SoPine A64 and the Pinebook
(12-05-2016, 12:54 AM)dkryder Wrote: the pine64 memory is listed @ 672MHz. i have not seen a listing for the sopine. i'm not sure that the layering technology itself makes for a faster memory handling experience. it does significantly reduce space/cost considerations.  i have noticed that the sdcard is on the back side of the SODIMM card which might make swapping sdcards a bit of a hassle. it would mostly depend on if it is necessary to remove the SODIMM card from the baseboard. the thing that frustrates me with this newer offering is that it is basically more of the same. they could have gone to 3GB or 4GB in the memory area and/or a different gpu offering that would solve the numerous video issues.

Right on both points.  To swap the SD card you DO have to remove the sodimm from the board.

... I am fairly certain that a 3G sodimm module is on the way;  perhaps a new gpu|cpu; time will tell.

Personally, I think they should have waited for the 3G RAM before annoucing;  but, they wanted to time the annoucement with the RPi compute module annoucement. 

One additional note;  because of the different RAM other pine images will not run on this board without a couple of changes: 1) the boot needs to be able to see the memory, and the dts|dtb needs to be changed so that the OS can deal with the memory.  ( both are available ; although, I have not run linux on my board yet, but longsleep has run it on his board )
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Messages In This Thread
RE: About the SoPine A64 and the Pinebook - by MarkHaysHarris777 - 12-05-2016, 01:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK power supply (Pinebook Pro 64) skobi 0 2,316 11-17-2019, 04:55 AM
Last Post: skobi
Lightbulb pdeclib pilib modules for Pine, Rock, Pinebook, Sopine MarkHaysHarris777 7 8,044 08-13-2017, 01:14 AM
Last Post: tllim
Question +PINEBOOK How to go about setting up your own Jenkins build system for pine64 / pinebook images pfeerick 2 15,822 05-31-2017, 02:42 AM
Last Post: pfeerick