About the SoPine A64 and the Pinebook
(11-27-2016, 05:05 AM)dkryder Wrote: the similarities between the pine64 board & this laptop, based on what is shown so far are the cpu, 2 serial ports, wi-fi and a hdmi port. the gpu is most likely the same. what the laptop does not have is ethernet,  40pin bus connector,  euler bus connector, exp bus connector, touch panel connector. that's off top of my head, so maybe laptop lacks more. anyway in your list you seem to list the laptop as equal to the board in that it offers the $29 value  of the board. fact is, the laptop does not offer that same $29 value as the board. perhaps 1/3 of the value of the board.

Until more information is made available I can't properly respond to this - for all we know the GPIOs may be exposed - but just not externally. Although if you were determined, there would be nothing to stop you tacking wires on the the CPU since we know that won't be changing... and the GPIO pins are simply (!!) convenient connections to the CPU :-O

I do feel that saying it's 1/3 of the value is a bit harsh - if you were saying the main board could be pulled out of the laptop as used instead of a pine64, then yes, that would be fair comparison - but it is not intended for that now is it (hm... but that would be nice, wouldn't it!!)? And yes, it wouldn't be $29 value - probably nearer $20, but still you should get the point I was making... if you were to buy the parts you can buy for this, you can't get it for $89, and even after spending $89, you don't have all the bits, so it's not really overpriced, especially considering the prices of what it is competing with. I think it will have it's limitations, but will still be a very affordable cheap and hackable laptop for light-duty stuff. 

However, this is all rather pointless until more information is released. Hopefully we'll see some pictures of the internals and more information released in the coming weeks and then be able to have some more informed discussion on it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: About the SoPine A64 and the Pinebook - by pfeerick - 11-27-2016, 09:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK power supply (Pinebook Pro 64) skobi 0 2,316 11-17-2019, 04:55 AM
Last Post: skobi
Lightbulb pdeclib pilib modules for Pine, Rock, Pinebook, Sopine MarkHaysHarris777 7 8,044 08-13-2017, 01:14 AM
Last Post: tllim
Question +PINEBOOK How to go about setting up your own Jenkins build system for pine64 / pinebook images pfeerick 2 15,824 05-31-2017, 02:42 AM
Last Post: pfeerick