About the SoPine A64 and the Pinebook
(11-25-2016, 12:57 PM)dkryder Wrote: that pinebook seems way over priced to me for what they offer. plus they do not offer too many details about what exactly is "open sourced" about the thing. if they use the same a64 do they also use mali gpu? if so, is that "open sourced"?  also, what is the process of flashing the emmc? can it be done by any tool that creates sd card? or is it phoenixcard only? if it is build from an order then they certainly gotta pony up a lot more info i would think.

Overpriced? Not to be a fanboy (I have a love/hate relationship with the pine64 :-P)... but lets add this up...

$29 for a pine64+ 2GB (same amount of memory (although pine64+ also has ethernet, but no eMMC onboard) 
$10 for wifi/BT module
$20 for a 8000mah battery (not the 10000mah in the pinebook)
$30 for a 7" touch screen lcd (ok, pinebook doesn't have touch, but this isn't the 11" or 14" display on the pinebook either)
no mouse/touchpad
no keyboard
no case
not pre-assembled
-------
$89

Hm... $89-99 doesn't sound particularly overpriced now, does it?(!) Ok... I'll calm down and go find myself a relaxing beverage... Blush

I understand that the page for that is still under construction - it wasn't intended to be released yet - not there are no links to the SoPine or the Pinebook from the main site - unlike the PADI which is a released product. Hence the lack of any further information or documentation on how to load the eMMC, etc. Also why there is no price for the SoPine (or it's carrier board) as yet.

However, I can say that it was intended to be a modular (kit) design - so doing things like swapping the battery (which will have more capacity options), and swapping the main board out (I believe two variants are planned) will be a mater of a few minutes work. As Luke commented... more information (and photos of the internals) is intended to be added shortly... so this is very much a *watch this space* situation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: About the SoPine A64 and the Pinebook - by pfeerick - 11-25-2016, 08:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK power supply (Pinebook Pro 64) skobi 0 2,316 11-17-2019, 04:55 AM
Last Post: skobi
Lightbulb pdeclib pilib modules for Pine, Rock, Pinebook, Sopine MarkHaysHarris777 7 8,044 08-13-2017, 01:14 AM
Last Post: tllim
Question +PINEBOOK How to go about setting up your own Jenkins build system for pine64 / pinebook images pfeerick 2 15,824 05-31-2017, 02:42 AM
Last Post: pfeerick