Moving
If I buy a phone in Ireland, will it work in the US?
Moving to more appropriate forum
(05-06-2024, 01:23 PM)srhannah Wrote: If I buy a phone in Ireland, will it work in the US?

pinephone and pp pro both work in the u.s.. although frequency bands may have some minor issues. bigger problem might be carrier's arbitrary blocks. devices might be blocked even if frequency bands match.
The PinePhone does not have region-specific models, so if you buy a PinePhone or PinePhone Pro in any country, it will work anywhere else. The one issue affecting the US specifically is that, apparently, of the 3 nationwide US physical carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile USA, Verizon), only T-Mobile USA accepts the PinePhone or PinePhone Pro on its network, the other two are reported to block them. (Note that to the carrier, there is no visible difference between the PinePhone and the PinePhone Pro, because the modem chip is the same and identifies itself to the carrier only as that modem, a Quectel EG25-G. So either both are allowed or both are blocked.) This also affects MVNOs, so you need to look for a MVNO on T-Mobile's network or use T-Mobile itself. This is a situation we are not seeing in any other country, complaints of this type in the forums are all from US users.

Larger phone makers do have region-specific models, so you need to check the specifications for the individual phone for whether it will work internationally (or specifically in the USA).
It isn’t blocked with some AT&T MVNOs. I’m not sure why that is.