Containers questions...
So I have been toying with my three Pine64 with android, ubuntu and debian-- and I have setup piholes and what not- but have basically realized that the Pine64 is way too beefy for just cups or a pihole.

For instance my pine spends 98.7% of it's time at 480 MHz when serving cups and pihole.... So i was looking to add more services, the problem is that what I am looking at, openvpn, cups, pihole, yunohost - whatever my heart desires - basically require control of their respective network stack- so naturally I have tried to make containers with LXC and have basically been having a devil of a time.

Has anyone had success setting up multiple services with containers or qemu or anything?

Thanks
Sure, lxc, lxd and docker work fine for containers. Also KVM works well if you need full virtualization.
(08-02-2016, 12:21 PM)longsleep Wrote: Sure, lxc, lxd and docker work fine for containers. Also KVM works well if you need full virtualization.

I have been having issues with lxc on debian...

the lxc-checkconfig prints clean and then the images don't pop up...

I will keep digging if you got it working.
No idea about Debian - i suggest to use my Ubuntu Image.
(08-02-2016, 02:00 PM)longsleep Wrote: No idea about Debian - i suggest to use my Ubuntu Image.

It appears to just be a problem with distros, differing versions of LXC and differing documentation.

Ubuntu works with LXD - running lxd-init after install - the system isn't fully up - the networking stuff is a little deep for me - but this should work - thanks!

for future reference

i installed:

lxd lxc cgmanager ebtables dnsmasq bridge-utils

The downloaded images are like 50/50 versus the build your own - some of them are better some worse.
Forgive my ignorance, but what are you talking about? I don't understand what you mean by "containers" and serving cups and such. Just curious if you can expand for the uninformed. Thanks.
Kickstarter backer #5,864  --  SBC Noob  --  SE Michigan, USA
hi montero65

You can read about LXC (Linux Containers) at this wiki link.

Linux containers is a relatively new virtualization method(s) and software; its an advanced topic that usually goes beyond the scope of discussions on a forum like this one, because it is specialized, and usually above the technical level of the majority of participants.

The best place to start is the wiki I listed above, and then branch out from there if you're interested.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
LXD and Docker both work great on Pine64. Note that this includes Docker images for armhf. If you want to learn about LXD See http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/lxd
(08-05-2016, 02:20 PM)montero65 Wrote: Forgive my ignorance, but what are you talking about?  I don't understand what you mean by "containers" and serving cups and such.  Just curious if you can expand for the uninformed.  Thanks.

Double what everyone else said.

Basically, the kernel is "shared" with these containers - so you aren't virtualizing hardware (what the kernel is usually interacting with) - drastically reducing the amount of resources necessary to launch and serve these container-ized applications.

The only kind of gothchas are
  •  the debian image, from longsleep - has caused me problems with LXC, (ubuntu has been fine) <- this may be an apparmor issue I didn't dig deep enough to figure it out.
  • the documentation around lxd is confusing because lxd uses lxc as a command. for instance lxc-create is almost the same as lxc launch
    -- this isn't impossible to understand but it basically doubles the amount of time it takes to understand what you are reading
  • networking is insane!
    • Part of this may be my own ignorance around some of the networking concepts.
    • many MANY! basic elements in linux networking have changed
      •  ifconfig is a huge part of most guides - but the reccomended tool set is the newer iproute2
      • this causes headaches because its not always clear what command is interoperable with another - and some vocab has changed
      • some basic understanding i had about linux networking just isn't applicable to ubuntu/debian
        •  /etc/resolv.conf (storing DNS-server info) gets overwritten by some new application
        • /etc/network/interfaces is no longer the last word in network interfaces - they point to files in /etc/network/interfaces.d
        • little things that i take for granted with centos are not installed by default - for instance in centos if I issue a systemctl command to shutdown or restart PAM finds out about that and just kicks me out of my ssh session -
I am not trying to a be negative guy on the forum... I am just saying for me personally I was like this should take a couple hours - and its like day 5 of me tinkering...

I will write up a guide when I am done - so I know how all the magic works - it will be posted here - or at least linked

Here is the guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/pine64/comments...rver_pt_2/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smart Mirror - Input Questions riahim 7 12,360 09-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Lw64