SOQuartz Linux Builds
I've been trying with some small success to make use of an SOQuartz with both the Pine64 Model A baseboard and a Waveshare CM4-to-Pi3 baseboard, although things are extremely messy and I have no idea where to look to be able to figure out how to fix things.

It seems a lot of the distros available on the software releases page supposedly use the CM4 baseboard, and while it works and I can get video on HDMI, even a graphical console using the latest Manjaro image from June 2023, the USB ports do not work. I have no idea how to get them to work and searches have not turned up any useful information.

I also attempted to use DietPi, Manjaro, and Plebian on the Model A baseboard, and have noticed a lot of oddities. The Pine64 wiki page on software releases for the SOQuartz instructs one to change extlinux.conf to use the model-a.dtb but doing this results in failure to boot. I don't yet have the time to hook up one of my FT232s to this thing to dig deeper. I forgot to change the DTB file once however that resulted in the Model A booting properly. However, I don't think I like Manjaro very much and would much prefer a Debian-based one, and in any case, getting system upgrades fails badly. Plebian boots, however it has no support whatsoever for the built-in WiFi or any of the WiFi dongles I have, making it a non-starter since I then have to plug the thing into a network port somewhere and do a headless install and that's too tedious to do with the way I have things set up now, and then I have no idea how to get any of the wireless modules working. DietPi works and I'd been able to get it to run, however I noticed that it runs very hot, temperature peaking at 71°C, which is very bad. I have some CM4 heatsinks on the way but I also noticed that the linked DietPi image uses the cm4 DTB, and I suspect this might partially be to blame for the thermal issues.

So I have several questions:

1. What do I need to do to get the USB ports on the Waveshare CM4-Pi3 board to work? Has anyone else experienced this issue? It is possible that I have a bad board given that I got mine suspiciously cheap (~US$5), but before I try to buy another one I want to know if this might be a known issue.

2. What do I need to do in order to get the built-in wireless networking on the SOQuartz to work? I take it we need some kind of firmware files which none of the linked distros include for whatever reason.

3. What's with these DTB files? Is it really safe to use the CM4 DTB even if you're using a Model A baseboard?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give.

For reference the Waveshare board I have is this one

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/CM4-to-Pi3-Adapter
(11-13-2023, 01:42 AM)stormwyrm Wrote: 2. What do I need to do in order to get the built-in wireless networking on the SOQuartz to work? I take it we need some kind of firmware files which none of the linked distros include for whatever reason.

Do as root or with sudo:

apt install firmware-brcm80211
cd /lib/firmware/brcm/
ln -s brcmfmac43455-sdio.AW-CM256SM.txt brcmfmac43455-sdio.pine64,soquartz-cm4io.txt

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Quartz64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 190 03-27-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: mara
  How force HDMI out in soquartz rahmanshaber 0 297 11-15-2023, 03:51 PM
Last Post: rahmanshaber
  Plebian Linux CounterPillow 8 3,389 07-19-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: CounterPillow
  SOQuartz Blade PXE Boot NCLI 1 828 05-05-2023, 09:49 AM
  SOQuartz Getting a working build dl-m10 7 3,737 01-23-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: diederik
  Ov5647 camera attached via csi to Quartz64 /Soquartz Randomuser 0 1,244 07-21-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Randomuser
  Installing linux images emveepee 8 5,063 07-07-2022, 08:19 AM
Last Post: emveepee
  Mainline linux Mwo87 4 3,234 07-06-2022, 05:38 AM
  Using soquartz's MIPI DSI1 output axelm 1 2,193 05-28-2022, 07:48 AM
  PCIe not working on custom board (soquartz) dferrg 1 2,016 02-23-2022, 04:31 AM
Last Post: dferrg