Very sad news
Thank you for the reminder, I'll have to use my Librem 5 under PureOS in order not to be forced to go back to Android and to avoid keeping an obsolete kernel.
(10-29-2023, 04:12 PM)anonymous Wrote: Thank you for the reminder, I'll have to use my Librem 5 under PureOS in order not to be forced to go back to Android and to avoid keeping an obsolete kernel.

Maybe pmOS and others will continue to support the PP
(10-29-2023, 11:38 PM)user641 Wrote:
(10-29-2023, 04:12 PM)anonymous Wrote: Thank you for the reminder, I'll have to use my Librem 5 under PureOS in order not to be forced to go back to Android and to avoid keeping an obsolete kernel.

Maybe pmOS and others will continue to support the PP

Yes but Mobian stopping to support the Pinephone is a scary piece of news for me. I still use it daily, I don't want to spend a lot of time in trying to use several distros.
i think that paperweight news is little bit exaggerated. it is a serious long term point. but for short term, there is going to be security updates for 6.1 kernel, it is part lts release. so for the near term, mobian is fine.

if mobian and other developers manage to get coordination plan, we probably wouldn't have long term problem either. so, maybe this is start of a discussion how to support pp regular development.

but this raises qustions about future of a64 (sunxi) devices, my guess is that after three years they are out.

(10-26-2023, 12:20 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(10-19-2023, 10:47 AM)LibrePhoneUser Wrote: I must say that the two answers here that don’t care about security patches because they aren’t using the PinePhone as an actual smartphone, are using the PinePhone in rather odd ways for which better alternatives exist.

How is using a phone to make and receive phone calls a "rather odd way" to utilize it?

I've been using cell phones since 1992 and have never changed carriers. Whenever cellular technology changed requiring a new phone my carrier would send me a free replacement to keep pace.  Of course for many years what are now called "simple phones" were all that were available and I stuck with them when smartphones emerged, seeing no need for the latter.  However with the latest technology change, turning off 3G service in the U.S., my carrier sent me a replacement flip phone that is full of Google and I didn't want that. That appeared to be the case with other "simple" phones I looked at as well, they all ran stripped-down Android or other Googleized system. So the Pinephone looked like a good alternative and despite some rough edges it's worked out fine for my purposes which as mentioned do not include internet access.

finding technical basic phone with volte is difficult. it seems that in the u.s. side, it is almost impossible, even so called basic phones have android or kaios as a basis, those usually means pre-installed stuff as a way it cannot be removed (without root).

in a european side, i manage to find some options, but frequency bands vary and is usually not compatible in north america.

Understandable, but I like the Pinephone's keyboard case. The closest match for the Librem 5 is the lapdock, which I haven't bought but it appears to be much bigger and heavier.
(11-11-2023, 08:01 AM)andrew907 Wrote:

Understandable, but I like the Pinephone's keyboard case. The closest match for the Librem 5 is the lapdock, which I haven't bought but it appears to be much bigger and heavier.

It's hard to imagine that no one will maintain the mobian project being debian with all the skilled people behind it and the pinephone a hardware many of those people have.
(11-12-2023, 02:13 AM)user641 Wrote: It's hard to imagine that no one will maintain the mobian project being debian with all the skilled people behind it and the pinephone a hardware many of those people have.

Even if the distro is Debian, the problem is that the kernel looks likely to be stuck on 6.1. Upstreaming patches requires savvy and effort far beyond simply knowing how to develop for Debian.

Across mobile-linux fora, longtime Pinephone owners and developers have reported that they got rid of their Pinephone, or consigned it to a drawer with other obsolete purchases. This is no longer the “popular” device it was a year ago.
That makes no since, the pinephone would be a lot better if there was a little more support for it. i know the pinephone needs a whole new hardware release with some up to date specs, that might help alot. the community and a lot of people might be waiting on a third pinephone.
(11-12-2023, 02:13 AM)user641 Wrote:

It's hard to imagine that no one will maintain the mobian project being debian with all the skilled people behind it and the pinephone a hardware many of those people have.
I'm a user, not a developer, so I don't pretend to understand all the complexity of patching the kernel. I'm looking for a tiny computer that runs as close to vanilla Debian as possible and can use mobile data. I don't know of any hardware makers besides Pine64 and Purism making phones where Linux is a first class citizen (although I believe Volla and Fairphone, to their credit, at least support running Ubuntu on top of the proprietary Android crap).

So you're right that there is little hardware to choose from and Debian has a strong developer community. From the post on the Mobian blog, my takeaway was to expect effort to start revolving around the Pinephone Pro in the near future.
(11-16-2023, 09:18 AM)andrew907 Wrote:
(11-12-2023, 02:13 AM)user641 Wrote:

I'm a user, not a developer, so I don't pretend to understand all the complexity of patching the kernel. I'm looking for a tiny computer that runs as close to vanilla Debian as possible and can use mobile data. I don't know of any hardware makers besides Pine64 and Purism making phones where Linux is a first class citizen (although I believe Volla and Fairphone, to their credit, at least support running Ubuntu on top of the proprietary Android crap).

So you're right that there is little hardware to choose from and Debian has a strong developer community. From the post on the Mobian blog, my takeaway was to expect effort to start revolving around the Pinephone Pro in the near future.

For my use the original pinephone with 3GB of ram is a nice hardware, with the current pace of progress things are getting better with time. I would keep using it for years, plus I like the minimalist approach. If mobian drops support for the kernel in the future, I will use other distros, but mobian is my favorite.