Very sad news
(10-12-2023, 08:11 AM)user641 Wrote:
(10-12-2023, 08:07 AM)LibrePhoneUser Wrote: That means using a device with no security updates. Vulnerabilities in the kernel itself are found often enough.
yeah, it's crazy to connect to internet any device without security updates. Just look how often even debian updates its kernel.

I don't use the Pinephone for internet access. It is literally used only for making and receiving phone calls. Mobile internet is disabled in the settings.
The main annoyance Mobian seems to be facing maintaining their kernel is that the megi kernel, which they use as a source for some patches, is no longer available as a regular git repository. That seems to be fairly easy to fix: it just takes someone to set up a mirror on some high-bandwidth host (Pagure, GitLab, GitHub, or maybe even kernel.org), regularly downloading megi's bundles with a cron job and pushing them to the mirror. Then the Mobian maintainers or any other interested people can just work with that mirror and do not have to bother with megi's way to publish the changes (and neither does megi have to change the way they are published).
(10-12-2023, 05:49 PM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: The main annoyance Mobian seems to be facing maintaining their kernel is that the megi kernel, which they use as a source for some patches, is no longer available as a regular git repository. That seems to be fairly easy to fix: it just takes someone to set up a mirror on some high-bandwidth host (Pagure, GitLab, GitHub, or maybe even kernel.org), regularly downloading megi's bundles with a cron job and pushing them to the mirror. Then the Mobian maintainers or any other interested people can just work with that mirror and do not have to bother with megi's way to publish the changes (and neither does megi have to change the way they are published).

This seems the most plausible and obvious solution, then the only thing lacking could be people willing to do so.
megi himself has now set up such a clonable mirror on Codeberg: https://codeberg.org/megi/linux
(10-12-2023, 05:49 PM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: The main annoyance Mobian seems to be facing maintaining their kernel is that the megi kernel, which they use as a source for some patches, is no longer available as a regular git repository.

Why do you think that?

I got the impression that that was just what "broke the camel's back".
The actual problem is the complete end of collaborative development.
(10-12-2023, 08:11 AM)user641 Wrote:
(10-12-2023, 08:07 AM)LibrePhoneUser Wrote:
(10-11-2023, 11:11 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Obviously not good news. However from my own standpoint as long as the Pinephone continues to be able to make and receive calls I'll use it regardless even if it were to never receive another update. I do realize though that most phone owners expect more than that.

That means using a device with no security updates. Vulnerabilities in the kernel itself are found often enough.

yeah, it's crazy to connect to internet any device without security updates. Just look how often even debian updates its kernel.

Currently I'm using my PinePhone only as a 4G modem (works as expected, except for the frequent restart of the modem which requires me to manually enter the SIM pin number). I'm careful to keep battery around 20% to 80% (and only sometimes to top it to 100%). Just sharing Smile
(10-18-2023, 02:56 PM)bosi564 Wrote: Currently I'm using my PinePhone only as a 4G modem (works as expected, except for the frequent restart of the modem which requires me to manually enter the SIM pin number). I'm careful to keep battery around 20% to 80% (and only sometimes to top it to 100%). Just sharing Smile

If you are using the PinePhone only as a modem, why not just buy a 4G USB-stick modem? I must say that the two answers here that don’t care about security patches because they aren’t using the PinePhone as an actual smartphone, are using the PinePhone in rather odd ways for which better alternatives exist.
Quote:using the PinePhone in rather odd ways
Isn't this great? Smile

(10-19-2023, 10:47 AM)LibrePhoneUser Wrote: If you are using the PinePhone only as a modem, why not just buy a 4G USB-stick modem? I must say that the two answers here that don’t care about security patches because they aren’t using the PinePhone as an actual smartphone, are using the PinePhone in rather odd ways for which better alternatives exist.
Reason: this is for my 2nd internet connection, so it's not important to be stable.

More details: I've maxed out my budget for "random technology which solve small problems". I've already paid for the PinePhone (2 times - braveheart and 1.2b) and I've send some donations to megi for his work, but that's the only useful thing this general computer can do for me. Otherwise I would consider it ewaste and throw it away. I've returned to use a popular smartphone with only the stock applications, Now I'm able to deal with email, an important internet site (a lot faster than the PPs Cortex-A53), audio over bluetooth and have a working phone (the PP previously had issues with both call audio and modem disconnecting until I've re-entered SIM pin).

I'm still fantasizing about the PP turning into a pocket scientific/graphing calculator, but someone has to put the hours into making it work. Standard GNU/Linux programs have many issues when used with a small touchscreen.
For the calculator, Maxima in a terminal emulator is sorta workable. But something with a (touch-friendly) UI would of course be better.
(10-19-2023, 10:47 AM)LibrePhoneUser Wrote: I must say that the two answers here that don’t care about security patches because they aren’t using the PinePhone as an actual smartphone, are using the PinePhone in rather odd ways for which better alternatives exist.

How is using a phone to make and receive phone calls a "rather odd way" to utilize it?

I've been using cell phones since 1992 and have never changed carriers. Whenever cellular technology changed requiring a new phone my carrier would send me a free replacement to keep pace.  Of course for many years what are now called "simple phones" were all that were available and I stuck with them when smartphones emerged, seeing no need for the latter.  However with the latest technology change, turning off 3G service in the U.S., my carrier sent me a replacement flip phone that is full of Google and I didn't want that. That appeared to be the case with other "simple" phones I looked at as well, they all ran stripped-down Android or other Googleized system. So the Pinephone looked like a good alternative and despite some rough edges it's worked out fine for my purposes which as mentioned do not include internet access.