MMS message being displayed delayed
Behavior is that SMS works great, when the phone is in suspend it shows I get a message and I can go see that message. No SMS issues.
In a MMS (group text) pretty much all the time as best as I can tell (very easy to reproduce/test), the following happens:

If the phone is in suspend it wakes, but no message is shown in the notification area of the locked screen. No message is in chatty.
If the phone is un-locked the back light dims when the message is "received". No message is in chatty.
The message will seemingly show up at a random time, and often multiple messages come in at the same time. Often out of order but with the correct time of receipt. 

If I kill mmsdtng and run it in a terminal, when a message is received there are 8 lines of text that describes the message (Body length, MMS transaction ID, MMS version, etc).
Then an error "Failed to get data (http status =404), 
error "POST m.notify.resp.ind failed with a status 404, 
These two errors repeat several times
and error g_uri_parse: assertion 'uri_string != NULL' failed

Things I have tried:
Reinstalling chatty from the software center.
Forcibly killing chatty and restarting it.
MMS proxy port number with and without
Checked to see if ForceCAres=true in ~/.mms/modemmanager/mms
Tried setting ForceCAres=false

Phone info:
Pinephone with Postmarketos 20230710-0752-postmarketOS-v23.06-phosh-22.2-pine64-pinephone running chatty version 0.7.2 and mmsd-tng version 2.3.0.

I have my APN settings set in chatty for Puretalk as

MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

APN: RESELLER
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net  ( I have tried it both with and without the PORT # 80 at the end)

I think I may have found the problem, but I do not know how it happened.

There were 18 messages in ~/.mms/modemmanager/. Sending a new message added one more.
Some of these dated back to July.

I deleted all of them and it appears that for now the messages are received and processed and then deleted out of ~/.mms/modemmanager/ .

So now my question would be what caused this?
(09-12-2023, 10:42 PM)car46999 Wrote: So now my question would be what caused this?

Have set the same apn also in System settings?

For a quick look one reason might be those stuck sms messages (which can be also mms) - so if you started using your PP and did not configure the MMS settings at the beginning there might be old stuck messages in the modem which will cause all sort of issues.

If you have option to send and receive MMS messages as test (so you know they should leave or arrive) it would be really much easier for you to debug.

I can look this more detailed in the evening but sort summary is here
(09-13-2023, 01:22 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote:
(09-12-2023, 10:42 PM)car46999 Wrote: So now my question would be what caused this?

Have set the same apn also in System settings?

For a quick look one reason might be those stuck sms messages (which can be also mms) - so if you started using your PP and did not configure the MMS settings at the beginning there might be old stuck messages in the modem which will cause all sort of issues.

If you have option to send and receive MMS messages as test (so you know they should leave or arrive) it would be really much easier for you to debug.

I can look this more detailed in the evening but sort summary is here

Yes, same APN settings in System, "RESELLER" for Puretalk. That is the only data field in system settings, in Chatty I have the Puretalk MMSC entered and the proxy (minus the port, as it didn't seem to make a difference).

It seems to have worked all day, so it is possible I received an MMS message prior to setting it up in Chatty. Would that message eventually expire and it start working correctly?

I just listed the files in ~/.mms/modemmanager/ and two files were just created that are dated Dec 31 1969. I cannot say exactly when they were created, but it would have been within the last 20-30 minutes, and within the same time period of receiving a test text back from an MMS group text.

How long should the files in that directory be there? Is it for incoming only or both in and out?
(09-13-2023, 04:22 PM)car46999 Wrote: Yes, same APN settings in System, "RESELLER" for Puretalk. That is the only data field in system settings, in Chatty I have the Puretalk MMSC entered and the proxy (minus the port, as it didn't seem to make a difference).
It seems to have worked all day, so it is possible I received an MMS message prior to setting it up in Chatty. Would that message eventually expire and it start working correctly?

I just listed the files in ~/.mms/modemmanager/ and two files were just created that are dated Dec 31 1969. I cannot say exactly when they were created, but it would have been within the last 20-30 minutes, and within the same time period of receiving a test text back from an MMS group text.

How long should the files in that directory be there? Is it for incoming only or both in and out?

Files are for incoming and for outgoing both. When everything goes perfectly well those files will be removed in seconds after the mms has been sent/received - sometimes it might take bit longer but most of the times it is seconds.

You migth want to join to the matrix room because it seems that your carrier is doing something funny:
https://matrix.to/#/!ZpAVqiESnSBiERBbjK:matrix.org
(09-14-2023, 07:27 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 04:22 PM)car46999 Wrote: Yes, same APN settings in System, "RESELLER" for Puretalk. That is the only data field in system settings, in Chatty I have the Puretalk MMSC entered and the proxy (minus the port, as it didn't seem to make a difference).

Files are for incoming and for outgoing both. When everything goes perfectly well those files will be removed in seconds after the mms has been sent/received - sometimes it might take bit longer but most of the times it is seconds.

You migth want to join to the matrix room because it seems that your carrier is doing something funny:
https://matrix.to/#/!ZpAVqiESnSBiERBbjK:matrix.org
Okay I will look into joining
Thanks for the advice

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine phone Junior, message phone ? bcnaz 22 14,214 09-30-2021, 12:04 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Germany batch will be delayed vicky 80 99,819 10-01-2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: tllim
Thumbs Up Phone arrived; a message of thanks ReleaseTheGeese 2 3,445 07-09-2020, 08:15 AM
Last Post: ReleaseTheGeese