GPU performance for 2D
I've seen specs for the Mali GPUs (e.g. Mali 400/450 MP2) that include gigapixels per second (gpix/s).

Is that a useful metric?

If you're rendering 2D graphics (texture quads), is there any correlation?
(11-30-2023, 07:39 PM)terinterpret Wrote: While gigapixels per second (gpix/s) is a useful metric for measuring a GPU's pixel processing capability, it may not directly correlate to the performance of rendering 2D graphics or texture quads. Factors like scene complexity, shader effects, memory bandwidth, and efficiency in handling texture operations also impact 2D graphics rendering. Therefore, it's important to consider other benchmarks and factors specific to 2D graphics when evaluating GPU performance.

We see here from time to time pretty meaningless replies. Above was the tip of the ice-berg. I created a chat-gtp account and entered OPs query and little surprise, its answer was quite similar:

The metric of gigapixels per second (gpix/s) is commonly used in GPU specifications to indicate the graphics processing capability of a GPU. It represents the number of pixels the GPU can process in one second. While it can be a useful metric for assessing the overall graphics performance of a GPU, it's important to understand that it's just one of many factors that contribute to a GPU's performance.

In the context of rendering 2D graphics, such as texture quads, the gigapixels per second metric may not be as directly relevant as it would be for 3D graphics rendering. 2D graphics rendering typically involves the display of images, user interfaces, and other non-3D elements. The efficiency of 2D rendering is influenced by factors such as memory bandwidth, texture fill rate, and the GPU's ability to handle various rendering tasks efficiently.

For 2D graphics, you may want to pay attention to metrics like memory bandwidth, as smooth rendering of high-resolution textures or multiple layers of graphics can benefit from a higher memory bandwidth. Additionally, the efficiency of the GPU's rendering pipeline, shader capabilities, and support for modern graphics APIs can also play a role in the overall performance.

In summary, while gigapixels per second is a relevant metric for assessing graphics processing power, it's essential to consider other factors as well, especially in the context of 2D graphics rendering where specific capabilities of the GPU, memory bandwidth, and overall efficiency in handling 2D rendering tasks become crucial.
(12-01-2023, 04:57 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 07:39 PM)terinterpret Wrote: While gigapixels per second (gpix/s) is a useful metric for measuring a GPU's pixel processing capability, it may not directly correlate to the performance of rendering 2D graphics or texture quads. Factors like scene complexity, shader effects, memory bandwidth, and efficiency in handling texture operations also impact 2D graphics rendering. Therefore, it's important to consider other benchmarks and factors specific to 2D graphics when evaluating GPU performance.

We see here from time to time pretty meaningless replies. Above was the tip of the ice-berg. I created a chat-gtp account and entered OPs query and little surprise, its answer was quite similar:

Hmm. Undecided 

Good to know.
(02-20-2024, 04:34 PM)grobbs Wrote:
(12-01-2023, 04:57 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: We see here from time to time pretty meaningless replies. Above was the tip of the ice-berg. I created a chat-gtp account and entered OPs query and little surprise, its answer was quite similar:

Hmm. Undecided 

Good to know.

I noticed yesterday that posts like this directly referencing Pine64 products plajiarise our posts here.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(02-21-2024, 04:28 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: I noticed yesterday that posts like this directly referencing Pine64 products plajiarise our posts here.

I guess it's inevitable that these AI bots will "borrow" information from public forums. :|

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A53 vs A72 performance enip 3 9,249 07-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Last Post: stuartiannaylor
  How do you improver your website performance? nilesh7 1 3,232 02-22-2018, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Luke