Recurrent problems with broken charger chip on the pinephone/pinephone pro keyboard
Has anyone with the kb case had recurrent problems with charging? I am on my second kb case after the first one had the charger break on me. Unfortunately the second kb case is now showing similar symptoms...

The symptoms are first the kb battery does not charge but it still sends some charge to the actual pinephone battery. The second is that it is unusually warm at the bottom of the kb case. This is where I am at with the second kb case.

If my experience with the first kb case is anything to go by, then soon the charger chip on the kb case will fail altogether and will not be able to charge anything.

Anyone else had similar problems? If so what response if any did you get from pine 64?

I am happy to have the software not working, but I think it is not on really to have the hardware regularly fail like this. Did anyone with similar problems get sent another main board from pine 64 as compensation?

I am happy to have the software not working, but I think it is not on really to have the hardware regularly fail like this. Did anyone with similar problems get sent another main board from pine 64 as compensation?

Happy to learn how to put in the main board, but it should really say in the information about the kb if this is going to be a recurring cost due to a faulty charger chip design.

I love the kb but at present I cannot recommend others buying it due to this design flaw. It really does make the ppp usable as a daily driver for me though hence my disappointment.
(07-24-2023, 11:26 AM)Jite Wrote: Has anyone with the kb case had recurrent problems with charging? I am on my second kb case after the first one had the charger break on me. Unfortunately the second kb case is now showing similar symptoms...

The symptoms are first the kb battery does not charge but it still sends some charge to the actual pinephone battery. The second is that it is unusually warm at the bottom of the kb case. This is where I am at with the second kb case.

If my experience with the first kb case is anything to go by, then soon the charger chip on the kb case will fail altogether and will not be able to charge anything.

Anyone else had similar problems? If so what response if any did you get from pine 64?

Happy to learn how to put in the main board, but it should really say in the information about the kb if this is going to be a recurring cost due to a faulty charger chip design.

I love the kb but at present I cannot recommend others buying it due to this design flaw. It really does make the ppp usable as a daily driver for me though hence my disappointment.

It will probably re-happen, the keyboard is simply not good designed. If you keep buying a replacement it is the sunk cost fallacy.

Check if your issue can be solved with https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_(..._questions and the linked website. If not I would recommend to open a ticket under https://support.pine64.org.
(07-24-2023, 11:26 AM)Jite Wrote: Has anyone with the kb case had recurrent problems with charging? I am on my second kb case after the first one had the charger break on me. Unfortunately the second kb case is now showing similar symptoms...

I had a similar issue. They sent me a new chip, i replaced it in the keyboard, it did not fix the issue. I didn't buy a new one but would of if I had spare cash, probaly chasing that dream machine. But yeah, wouldn't recommend, hope they fix the hardware issues in a new batch or a iterated version of a keyboard and phone.
I'm starting to see some "strange" stuff on mine now as well ? Admittedly I need to do more home work on it however after a full discharge of the Keyboard Battery and the phone the other night It seems to be randomly dropping in and out of connectivity. Charge status showing on Mobian Posh GUI is intermittent. In the process of "hunting" down the "usual suspects" and known faults however my Keyboard / Battery Accessory is currently not "happy". Will post more when I've time to do a bit more fault finding
Just to "clarify" the ^above^ After some main's USB C Powered recharging of my Keyboard / Battery accessory It appears to be performing better now. I normally recharge it off a 3AMP USB Power Bank Battery this is itself charged from a small Solar Array so I suspect the problem was my end ? Once again a "Relatively" Happy Camper ! Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Pinephone Pro + Keyboard for sale Jimmy88 2 743 04-22-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: AegisWages
  PinePhone only turns on sometimes zvavybir 1 387 03-27-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: zvavybir
  PinePhone Pro Explorer's edition Qualcomm modem recovery shifras 7 1,130 03-24-2024, 02:22 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Question Screen turning off and booting problems with the Pinephone Pro xnZwJR6vys9a2wm7yWE4 0 223 01-16-2024, 02:38 PM
Last Post: xnZwJR6vys9a2wm7yWE4
  Pinephone Pro LCD and Touchscreen Hobgoblin 8 3,783 01-14-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: shifras
  is it possible to install a pinephone pro mainboard in a pinephone hannescam 7 2,644 08-13-2023, 04:50 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone pro packet injection for internal wifi chipset covar 1 807 08-13-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: fxc
  PinePhone Keyboard won't work. read_kb_reg(PPKB_SYS_CONFIG) needs what? jovval 0 516 07-09-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: jovval
Photo My PinePhone Pro does not read the micro SD card at all. tux_life 7 2,637 03-26-2023, 02:55 AM
Last Post: tux_life
  Pinephone Pro Earpiece is not working, need help silverwing 2 1,265 03-25-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: UltraBlack_