Which SBC is right for me?
Hello everyone:

I am new to the world of SBCs, due to life circumstances. I don't have much knowledge about this either, and less about programming... and I use google translator to write/read in English.

I would like to know what SBC I can use to make a PBX based on IncrediblePBX (Lightweight Linux + Asterisk + FreePBX)

Until now, a colleague who can no longer dedicate his time to this did it with Raspberry. The latest versions of IncrediblePBX recommend PI 4 2 Gb RAM, which as you know is out of stock.

Given that I don't need WiFi/Bluethoot, which of the Pine64 SBCs is equivalent to the Raspberry PI 4 with 2/4 Gb RAM?

My clientele can have quite a few extensions, although only about 10 simultaneous calls at the most. For example, hotels with up to 50 rooms: hardly any guests call or receive calls from the room phone because everyone has a mobile...

Thanks for your help, regards.
there are a few SBCs with the raw GFLOPS to outpace the rpi4, but of these, I think only the rockpro64 has a strong enouogh software library that I'd grab it and try this. The rock64 is probably a little underpowered, and the Quartz64 A/B and Star64 A/B are newer with less software options (thouogh the quartz modules have been making improvements!). any of these will likely be faster but there are more options (plus more raw CPU power) in the RockPro64.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(04-12-2023, 11:52 AM)zer0sig Wrote: there are a few SBCs with the raw GFLOPS to outpace the rpi4, but of these, I think only the rockpro64 has a strong enouogh software library that I'd grab it and try this. The rock64 is probably a little underpowered, and the Quartz64 A/B and Star64 A/B are newer with less software options (thouogh the quartz modules have been making improvements!). any of these will likely be faster but there are more options (plus more raw CPU power) in the RockPro64.

Thank you very much for your answer...

Taking into account that I don't need everything that Rockpro64 offers and that some models are out of stock, I will study which one may be the most suitable for me.

Greetings.
Happy to help!

I was thinking the rockpro64 was a little overkill as well. 

Honestly, the rock64 isn't that much less powerful than the rpi4, it has good device support in terms of OSes than run on it, cases, people using them, etc (I actually use my rock64 as my primary over the rockpro64, but the rockpro64 has some stuff I am experimenting with so I will be having it to something different like running as a small NAS or heavier compute).

Check out the comparison of the SoC in the rpi4 to that of the rock64:
https://gadgetversus.com/processor/broad...ip-rk3328/

Also, note that despite being a little less powerful than the 4, it absolutely stomps the rpi3, and I suspect it could absolutely do the same thing (that is to say, they mention the rpi4 because it is 4 times as powerful as the rpi3 in GLOPS, not because only being 3 times as powerful isn't enoguh - in fact, the rock64 came out a year before the rpi3 and was considerably more powerful, so we're talking about a nice SBC - it's also very compact, like around credit card sized):
https://gadgetversus.com/processor/broad...ip-rk3328/

Happy hunting!
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(04-13-2023, 08:57 AM)PedroPG Wrote: I don't need everything that Rockpro64 offers and that some models are out of stock, I will study which one may be the most suitable for me.

I would recommend to NOT discard models which are currently out of stock. Most can/should get in stock in some time; it won't be out of stock for as long as you've encountered with RPi's ;-)

If you provide more precise hardware requirements, people can give you more precise recommendations.
You probably know what things are important for PBX functionality while most here probably don't. They may make a somewhat educated guess, but knowing is better then guessing.

What you can and should do in any case: check the wiki pages for the boards you're considering. They are pretty great and also tend to document if something isn't working as well as one would expect.
(04-14-2023, 02:43 AM)diederik Wrote:
(04-13-2023, 08:57 AM)PedroPG Wrote: I don't need everything that Rockpro64 offers and that some models are out of stock, I will study which one may be the most suitable for me.

I would recommend to NOT discard models which are currently out of stock. Most can/should get in stock in some time; it won't be out of stock for as long as you've encountered with RPi's ;-)

If you provide more precise hardware requirements, people can give you more precise recommendations.
You probably know what things are important for PBX functionality while most here probably don't. They may make a somewhat educated guess, but knowing is better then guessing.

What you can and should do in any case: check the wiki pages for the boards you're considering. They are pretty great and also tend to document if something isn't working as well as one would expect.

I don't rule out models currently out of stock... Also, other issues prevent me from devoting my time to this now and in the meantime some models may be back in stock.

For a PBX I only need an SBC that has an ethernet connection, RAM memory (2/4 Gb), an SD/microSD card (32 Gb, no more) for Debian 11 + IncrediblePBX from which I can boot the system and the PBX, a cell/battery that maintains time and date; and that it starts automatically in the event of a power failure.

I don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, WiFi, Bluethoot, USB, SSD, GPIO...

My colleague implemented the first PBXs back in 2014, when the usual Raspberry model I think only had 512K of RAM... With the current versions of the OS/PBX you will need at least 2 Gb of RAM, I suppose.
I think it could be done with the current Raspberry PI 3, using older versions of the OS/PBX, but I'd rather be able to use updated versions of everything and so look for something better than the PI 3.

Sorry I can't explain the technical requirements better.

Greetings.