Empty space
Hi,

I burn an 32gb image on a 64gb card due to room request larger than available, now I was wondering if the free space(around 30gb) of my 64gb SD card can be formatted in a new FAT32 partion and used for general purpose.
If the answer will be yes, what kind of software should i use?
I've tried "Disk Management" on my ubuntu distro, but I continue having an error message like this:

ERROR CREATING PARTITION
Error creating partition on /dev/sdb: Command-line `parted --align optimal --script "/dev/sdb" "mkpart primary ext2 30767MiB 64155025407b"' exited with non-zero exit status 1: Error: Can't have overlapping partitions.

(udisks-error-quark, 0) 

Any suggestion? Wink
hi top3b, yes you may create a partition on the rest of the SD card (and mount it on your PineA64 too) with :

gparted

This tool exists on the images, and you can also find in on most gnu+linux distros.

gparted allows you to resize, move, create, format... partitions for use with linux.

marcushh777
Hi

You can do two things: 1) use the resize script /usr/local/sbin/resize_rootfs.sh or 2) use gparted GUI,

hope this helps
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I've tried to use gparted, but it reports an unallocated space available of 59.75gb, without showing the partition table already present on the sd card.
Then, when i try to create a new partition, it pops up with an error message regarding the need to create before a partition table, but doing this, it will erase all data on the card.
(07-19-2016, 04:38 AM)top3b Wrote: I've tried to use gparted, but it reports an unallocated space available of 59.75gb, without showing the partition table already present on the sd card.
Then, when i try to create a new partition, it pops up with an error message regarding the need to create before a partition table, but doing this, it will erase all data on the card.

You're doing something wrong.

... pop the SD card into a gnu+linux computer and use gparted there.

marcushh777
(07-19-2016, 06:01 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 04:38 AM)top3b Wrote: I've tried to use gparted, but it reports an unallocated space available of 59.75gb, without showing the partition table already present on the sd card.

You're doing something wrong.

... pop the SD card into a gnu+linux computer and use gparted there.

marcushh777

Hi Marcus. I also encountered problems using gparted on an android image. It reports an error on overlapping partitionsand then refuses to show the partitions. But Linux (Ubuntu 16.01) running as a VM guest on a windows 10 machine automatically mounts the partitions and doesn't report an error.

I'm a Linux noob (last experience was suse 6), so I might be doing something wrong.
Thank you Boring.
I have tried with a Chromixium distro,i will try VM on Mac OSX next days and then i let you know.
See U
Hi mates,

I've tried also with VM, but the problem persist.
I read on internet that gparted "Can't have overlapping partitions", what i found is that the primary partition is located within the extended partition. This means that a primary partition uses part of the extended partition, that isn't allowable. Only logical partitions can use parts of an extended partition. (source:http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=16373).
Can anyone solved changing the partition table?
(07-23-2016, 10:51 AM)top3b Wrote: Hi mates,

I've tried also with VM, but the problem persist.
I read on internet that gparted "Can't have overlapping partitions", what i found is that the primary partition is located within the extended partition. This means that a primary partition uses part of the extended partition, that isn't allowable. Only logical partitions can use parts of an extended partition. (source:http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=16373).
Can anyone solved changing the partition table?

What was the original image you wrote on the microSD? Was it one of the debian or ubuntu linux images, or is it a Android/Remix one?
Android rooted and Remix images burned on two different SD cards