Speaker "Popping"
Bug 
I'm getting back into the PinePhone and PinePhone Pro and I was just curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue because I can't seem to find much information about it.

The problem is simple, when my PinePhone Pro goes to play audio, there will be a sudden and loud "pop" sound before it plays. This also sometimes happens when I first cold boot the phone. I say "sometimes" because it seems almost random when it chooses to "pop".

I've done some searching and it seems obvious that it has to do with PinePhone "sound card" powering up, either from cold boot or from idle. I've already went ahead and disabled idle suspend in Pipewire but the problem persists. I've not done extensive testing so far, right now I want to see if anyone else has experienced this. I've seen reports of this happening on the PineBook (Pro) as well. It's not the biggest issue ever so I've not cared to look to fix it.

Has anyone else experienced "popping" sound coming from their PinePhone Pro?
(11-02-2022, 01:17 PM)Merc Wrote: I'm getting back into the PinePhone and PinePhone Pro and I was just curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue because I can't seem to find much information about it.

The problem is simple, when my PinePhone Pro goes to play audio, there will be a sudden and loud "pop" sound before it plays. This also sometimes happens when I first cold boot the phone. I say "sometimes" because it seems almost random when it chooses to "pop".

I've done some searching and it seems obvious that it has to do with PinePhone "sound card" powering up, either from cold boot or from idle. I've already went ahead and disabled idle suspend in Pipewire but the problem persists. I've not done extensive testing so far, right now I want to see if anyone else has experienced this. I've seen reports of this happening on the PineBook (Pro) as well. It's not the biggest issue ever so I've not cared to look to fix it.

Has anyone else experienced "popping" sound coming from their PinePhone Pro?

I have yes, but I have no idea what is causing it I thought it was something to do with circuits arcing
(11-04-2022, 09:08 PM)Ry Wrote: I have yes, but I have no idea what is causing it I thought it was something to do with circuits arcing
Unfortunately I don't have much time at all to diagnose it. At least I know I'm not the only one experiencing this.
It seems like the "pop" is occurring when the phone's sound configuration switches from Internal Earpiece to Internal Speaker; especially as the phone boots up or comes out of Suspend. But just switching between these modes, in Settings, wont cause the "pop". You have to actually do something that utilizes the Internal Speaker, to cause the "pop" to occur; like when the phone automatically switches between Default sound mode and Phone Call sound mode, or when you use the Test option in Settings.

Why this should cause such a loud "pop", I'm not sure. But it probably has something to do with this phone being complete crap. Seriously, my $40 Raspberry Pi functions better as a Linux phone (not to mention as a PC) than this boondoggle does. For what this thing costs, one could buy a MiSTer and just emulate a smartphone.

My question is, if both the Default and Phone Call sound modes feature their own Internal Earpiece and Internal Speaker options, why bother having Default and Phone Call modes at all? Phone Call mode only works about 20% of the time, and you can't stop the phone from switching to it when you open the Phone Call app! And every OS seems to have this same sound issue.

I'd take fewer setting (that actually work); over more settings (that cause problems); every time!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PPP (Manjaro/Phosh) lags when speaker above 50% wilsonjholmes 2 1,739 04-27-2022, 10:11 AM
Last Post: wilsonjholmes