PP v1.2a charges only if shutdown before connecting to USB
Exclamation 
Hi! Regardless of a battery %, my PinePhone v1.2a won't start charging - unless I shutdown it before connecting a USB cable Huh ; then, PP auto-starts when you connect it to a charger, and could be further booted & used fine while still successfully charging in this way. I tried the different chargers, and even installed a CameronSino CS-SMJ700SL (perhaps the best alternative battery) - but I can't get a PP charging if it's already booted to an OS.

My favorite charger (a dumb 5V 2.4A without "Quick Charge" features) - shows the charging current on its' LCD display, which helps to ensure that a device is really charging. If I connect it to the PP while it's already powered on, it will only eat ~0.3A - which could be enough to support the current power consumption, but not to charge! However, if I connect it to the PP while it's off, it will auto-start and eat ~1.3A - enough to both charge a battery and power a CPU/LCD/etc.

Regarding the software: I'm running the latest PostmarketOS. Although I upgraded the ANX7688 firmware ( see Pine64 Wiki ) , I think I've had this problem out-of-the-box with the default ANX7688 firmware and Mobian. These "charging quests" are really annoying, because I have a FDE enabled and each time I'd like to charge a PP - I need to turn it off, plug it into a charger and input two lengthy passwords while booting. Dodgy Is there any way to fix this?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Insta-Shutdown w/o Charger Techpaint 0 652 10-14-2022, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Techpaint
  Pinephone bricked after connecting to a PC over USB granolanostalgic 1 1,666 10-22-2021, 02:02 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Can't turn off phone..Hard shutdown? JLane8 6 7,196 09-13-2020, 01:53 AM
Last Post: JLane8