Can you make reliable calls yet?
Hi,
What is the status of being able to make reliable calls on the PP and PPpro?
By reliable I mean:
- Calls go through
- Calls are not disconnected for no reason
- Audio levels are fine (sending and receiving).
- Both parties can hear each other.
Thanks.
(08-14-2022, 02:51 PM)orbital Wrote: Hi,
By reliable I mean:
- Calls go through
Thanks.

Hello

I am speaking about original PP (not Pro). Pro is most likely less good (but it will be better - it is only matter of time)

Short answer is yes.

Long answer is: you have to do some work to achieve these goals. Amount of work depends from your carrier.
If you need more information I am happy to help if you want but you can also search from this forum or duckduckgo  Smile
(08-14-2022, 04:32 PM)alaraajavamm Wrote: I am speaking about original PP (not Pro). Pro is most likely less good (but it will be better - it is only matter of time)

Short answer is yes.

Long answer is: you have to do some work to achieve these goals. Amount of work depends from your carrier.
If you need more information I am happy to help if you want but you can also search from this forum or duckduckgo  Smile

Why would it depend on the carrier? I would have thought that the GSM baseband modem treats all carriers the same.
By reliable I mean:
- Calls go through
Thanks.

I've been using the Pinephone as my primary phone since February, except for a couple short periods where SMS/MMS glitches forced a retreat.  I did need to config the proximity sensor to be less sensitive before the phone experience became pretty pain-free.

- Calls go through:                         99%
- Calls are not disconnected for no reason       99%
- Audio levels are fine (sending and receiving).   I needed to increase the receive volume via /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhone/VoiceCall.conf
- Both parties can hear each other.            I've heard no complaints.

Edit 1: OS is Mobian, carrier is Verizon
(08-14-2022, 05:13 PM)orbital Wrote: Why would it depend on the carrier? I would have thought that the GSM baseband modem treats all carriers the same.

Modem treats all carrier the same yes. But the thing is all carriers have some own setups and they don't treat modem the same Big Grin

For example audio levels are different with different carriers or even with same carrier depending which network you are usin (2G, 3G, 4G). And there are also some smaller things (like USSD codes) which might work or not - depending on your carrier.
I think most carriers in EU work out of the box with PP. I have read that in the USA it is not that easy.
Don't know about rest of the world.
(08-14-2022, 05:13 PM)orbital Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 04:32 PM)alaraajavamm Wrote: I am speaking about original PP (not Pro). Pro is most likely less good (but it will be better - it is only matter of time)

Short answer is yes.

Why would it depend on the carrier? I would have thought that the GSM baseband modem treats all carriers the same.

Implementation differences on the carrier side, particularly around VoLTE. Later firmware versions have added profiles to support specific variations from more carriers, and may or may not work better depending on your carrier. Some carriers operate allow/deny lists based on phone model or IMEI, so even if the phone is capable of working the carrier may not allow it. For MMS some carriers need a different APN to that for data, which is not yet supported by the linux side of the software (ModemManager IIRC).
By reliable I mean:
- Calls go through
Thanks.

Third day now and I made three calls so far. Barely usable until yesterday, and then I tried to use the mmcli to send a SMS (which worked), because the KDE Connect couldn't find a device (list empty) and neither could Telegram (spinning the busy circle forever). Now the signal strength stands at zero, the carrier's name is not displayed, and mmcli first showed the modem at position 1 (found it on 2 when I sent that message). Two minutes later it reports "no modems found".

I've found that there's some config file where the power control on a modem can be set so it doesn't get turned off, and opened that file with nano, but nano is unusable - the cursor stands at top of file, and the input method is the one for terminal, with just up and left arrow, no way to move the cursor to the end of line. Also doesn't recognize the ctrl+ characters, i.e. unusable. If there's a better editor available, I'd like to know.

I managed to ssh into the phone from my PC and that at least speeds up the attempts.
So... my supply of questions is near endless, but first
- how do I wake up the modem(s) and keep it awake
- how do I make KDE connect fill its list of devices
Just caught it do
mmcli -L
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/1 [QUALCOMM INCORPORATED] QUECTEL Mobile Broadband Module
and then, 10 minutes (and one suspend) later
sudo mmcli -L
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/2 [QUALCOMM INCORPORATED] QUECTEL Mobile Broadband Module

What's going on, why is the modem being moved?
(08-15-2022, 07:18 AM)Eugo Wrote: Just caught it do
mmcli -L
    /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/1 [QUALCOMM INCORPORATED] QUECTEL Mobile Broadband Module
and then, 10 minutes (and one suspend) later
sudo mmcli -L
    /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/2 [QUALCOMM INCORPORATED] QUECTEL Mobile Broadband Module

What's going on, why is the modem being moved?

Hi and welcome to the Pinephone world Smile

My kindly advice is that please understand that there are lot of things that require quite tinkering and 99,99% of people who can help you are volunteers. This community is friendly and willing to help but most of the times you get answer easier and faster if you search it from internet - there is quite high change that you are not the first one with same problem (at least if you install some default OS image or even use the factory image from Pine64)

Do you have PP or PP Pro?
Most of the times best places to find help are:
OS of your choice project page - I am not using KDE but I guess this is the page in your scenario https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/pla...ile/issues

The site where OS of your choice does announcements - and I guess that in your scenario it is this page: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...pro/116373

And most of the times best place is Matrix / Telegram channels.
This is the largest Pinephone Telegram channel https://t.me/pinephone
(08-14-2022, 09:22 PM)treebeard Wrote:
By reliable I mean:
- Calls go through
Thanks.

I've been using the Pinephone as my primary phone since February, except for a couple short periods where SMS/MMS glitches forced a retreat.  I did need to config the proximity sensor to be less sensitive before the phone experience became pretty pain-free.

- Calls go through:                         99%
- Calls are not disconnected for no reason       99%
- Audio levels are fine (sending and receiving).   I needed to increase the receive volume via /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhone/VoiceCall.conf
- Both parties can hear each other.            I've heard no complaints.

Edit 1: OS is Mobian, carrier is Verizon
Thanks for that post treebeard. I also edited the stated file and increased the 160 value to 220 and now I can hear the other caller much better. For the first time I had to turn the volume down on the device.
Arch Linux Phosh.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4G VoLTE calls confirmed working with carrier x dcinoz 15 11,835 03-09-2024, 11:38 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Buetooth handsfree calls on PinPhone alabasha 7 1,852 08-18-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  pinephone no longer receiving calls or texts jyoung 3 1,805 07-16-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: jyoung
  Reliable OS? FOSSagent0 3 1,297 05-16-2023, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  Handsfree bluetooth calls conifera 0 831 02-28-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: conifera
  Calls, SMS benedikt55 1 984 12-13-2022, 10:42 AM
Last Post: treebeard
  phone calls are enough for now wehape2bees 2 2,101 07-30-2022, 06:06 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Mute function on calls? scrwbigtek 0 753 05-30-2022, 12:52 PM
Last Post: scrwbigtek
  Developers wanted to make out of the PinePhone a Respiratory Monitor Peter Gamma 0 974 03-20-2022, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Problem with incoming calls (w/o ModemManager/Ofono) jlucas 10 7,621 08-09-2021, 05:38 PM
Last Post: mouffa