Java/JavaFX application
I am very attracted to the concept of a hand-held device sporting a real linux and real Java environment.  I am afraid only 4GB of memory is a constraining factor in the current PPP.  If it had 8GB I'd have ordered one by now.  I installed Java/JavaFX from Manjaro and they seem to work well on my old 4GB Thinkpad.

Has anyone here experimented with Java on the PPP (including JavaFX)?  I'm particularly interested if the user changes the orientation is it detectable in JavaFX?  The app I'm thinking about would require 15 - 20 units for all the people using it in out-of-the-office work.

Thanks for any feedback.
(05-05-2022, 08:00 PM)yakimaman Wrote: I am very attracted to the concept of a hand-held device sporting a real linux and real Java environment.  I am afraid only 4GB of memory is a constraining factor in the current PPP.  If it had 8GB I'd have ordered one by now.  I installed Java/JavaFX from Manjaro and they seem to work well on my old 4GB Thinkpad.

Has anyone here experimented with Java on the PPP (including JavaFX)?  I'm particularly interested if the user changes the orientation is it detectable in JavaFX?  The app I'm thinking about would require 15 - 20 units for all the people using it in out-of-the-office work.

Thanks for any feedback.

In your post you said that java worked in a 4 gig machine and then said you were concerned about it not working.  I'd go with your evidence that it works.

I am not sure what is meant by a real java environment but I would not relish doing any elaborate text entry for coding on a hand held device with my old fat fingers.  If you are talking about running java apps,  I don't see why the orientation feature would change.  Question is can you see what is needed on the display in the various orientation modes.  I think apps need their display features modified to be successfully run on small screen mobile devices.

tom kosvic
(05-06-2022, 07:22 AM)tckosvic Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 08:00 PM)yakimaman Wrote: I am very attracted to the concept of a hand-held device sporting a real linux and real Java environment.  I am afraid only 4GB of memory is a constraining factor in the current PPP.  If it had 8GB I'd have ordered one by now.  I installed Java/JavaFX from Manjaro and they seem to work well on my old 4GB Thinkpad.

Thanks for any feedback.

In your post you said that java worked in a 4 gig machine and then said you were concerned about it not working.  I'd go with your evidence that it works.

I am not sure what is meant by a real java environment but I would not relish doing any elaborate text entry for coding on a hand held device with my old fat fingers.  If you are talking about running java apps,  I don't see why the orientation feature would change.  Question is can you see what is needed on the display in the various orientation modes.  I think apps need their display features modified to be successfully run on small screen mobile devices.

tom kosvic

(05-06-2022, 07:58 AM)yakimaman Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 07:22 AM)tckosvic Wrote:

Thanks for any feedback.

tom kosvic
On my 4GB laptop I was able to run an app sample but I think 4GB is very marginal for any kind of significant app by the time all the OS related stuff is loaded as well.  4GB for an app would, of course (why I want 8GB memory), be more than adequate but I assume there are probably only about 2GB of usable space on PPP -- don't really know.  Certainly would not be writing code on the PPP -- only running an app.

I'm just wondering how to detect an orientation change with JavaFX so that the app can redraw itself.

Thanks for your interest in my question.