Continuous usage?
Hi

I've got a 2Gb version on the way and have a question about continuous usage of the device - can it be left switched on 24/7 without the risk of it overheating?

The reason being is that I intend to use it as a small server / home automation device, so the intention would be to leave it switched on for the duration of its life.

I've had a look thorugh the rest of the forum, but can't find any similar queries, so I thought I'd ask outright!
You can leave it on 24/7/365 !

... having said that, I have a heatsink set on my PineA64 board; also I have a 5v miniature brushless 140ma fan free standing about the heatsink over the SoC.  You can monitor the temp with :

cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

I like to keep the SoC temps in the 40s c ; the Soc will throttle at 80c. With low load a fan is not necessary. With higher loads the fan will be useful for you.

You can see a pic of my early PineA64 (without LED nor switches), at the link.

marcus
(07-05-2016, 04:00 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: You can leave it on 24/7/365 !

... having said that, I have a heatsink set on my PineA64 board; also I have a 5v miniature brushless 140ma fan free standing about the heatsink over the SoC.  You can monitor the temp with :

cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

I like to keep the SoC temps in the 40s c ; the Soc will throttle at 80c. With low load a fan is not necessary. With higher loads the fan will be useful for you.

You can see a pic of my early PineA64 (without LED nor switches), at the link.

marcus

as Marcus mentioned, you can turn on 24/7/365.
Thanks, Mark & tllim. I thought as much, but just wanted to check!
(07-05-2016, 03:37 PM)Green Cherry Wrote: Hi

I've got a 2Gb version on the way and have a question about continuous usage of the device - can it be left switched on 24/7 without the risk of it overheating?

The reason being is that I intend to use it as a small server / home automation device, so the intention would be to leave it switched on for the duration of its life.

I've had a look thorugh the rest of the forum, but can't find any similar queries, so I thought I'd ask outright!

I'm doing exactly the same here - it will be a home automation / sensor logger server, and I am running mine 24x7 without any issues. I also have put a heatsink on the CPU, and it is currently idling at 45c. It seems to be working well, even when I was compiling some stuff on it for a while... where it was busy pulling 1.3A for a few hours!  Cool
I've had mine running for weeks (see attachment) without any issues. Hovers at approx ~45*C and even under load - for instance when backing up the site - it doesn't even hit 60*C (without a heatsink). 

You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some hard numbers on Pine64 Power Usage ataylorm 2 7,891 06-27-2016, 06:08 AM
Last Post: ataylorm